Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Widest Rim without rubbing

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by GovTC, Feb 3, 2012.

1. GovTC

GovTC New Member

Looking to replace my factory rims with sizes 18. Not a tire expert but looking to gain more traction to reduce my wheel spin. I know I can upgrade the axle and the diff. That is later down line. Know a wider tire will help me out a bit on this problem. Just need to know how wide of a tire I can go without. Rubbing the wheel well.

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

Another thing that will help w/ reducing wheel spin/hop would be a torque damper and upgrading your engine and transmission mounts w/ Energy Suspension.

3. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Where did you get that handy chart? Is it assumed to be stock ride height? I have 18x8.5" +35mm offset with 225/40/18 inch rubber. My car is lowered just shy of 2". The backs rubbed on the fender lip causing me to have it shaved some. They were rubbing but I caught the problem before it damaged the tire. The fronts are fairly flushed out as well. The top of the tire only rubs the fender well mudguard (plastic) on a hard bounce or bump in a tight turn while pushing it. No damage to the tire. I had planned for a 235/40/18 tire but would have either dialed in more negative camber in the rear, increased ride height, went with a 235/35/18 tire, go with the size that I have now, shaved the fender lip (can't be rolled), or downgrade back to an 8" wide rim.

4. CadenceScion

Hey Scott, where ya been? We've missed you!

I actually found that chart on another Scion Site, I saved it and figured it would come in handy one day.

1 person likes this.
  5. navylife59

I have been back to work for the Navy for my Annual AT orders. Still jacked up in the neck, shoulders, and arms.
    Can you provide a reference to the where the chart was copied from to avoid plagiarism? I wonder if it was measurements from actually fit testing or just calculated fitment based off the OEM tire/wheel combo.

6. CadenceScion

Yes I will find out where I got that chart from and provide a link for you.

7. iforgedtc305

iforgedtc305 New Member

i roll on 18x9 +45 and no rubbing, i installed 20mm spacers and rubbed like hell

8. navylife59

What size tire? I have 18x8.5 +35mm. I ended up having to run 225/40/18 and shave the rear fender lip when I lowered the car because I did not want to dial in a lot of negative camber for clearance and look fat lipped. I intended on running 235/40/18 or perhaps a 245/40/18 or 245/35/18.