Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

What gives more HP?

Discussion in 'Engine Performance' started by Leon, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Leon

Leon Member

Okay, I did quite a little bit of research and the TRD supercharger cost in the neighborhood of about $3500/installed and it adds 40 more horsepower to your stock hp which will make it 200hp.

What other parts would add that much without spending thousands?

Anyone knows how much HP for the basic 3 bolt-on performance parts like I/H/E? (Intake, Headers, Exhaust).

Furthermore, what about Pulleys and Cams?

2. SupachargedSupawhite

SupachargedSupawhite Member

The supercharger gives more than 40hp. It has dynod on numerous occasions between 190-200whp. The equals about 220-230hp. TRD underrated the supercharger. 225hp from 160hp is a pretty substantial gain IMO. Thats a 40% increase as opposed to their claimed 25% increase

3. Leon

Leon Member

If I'm not mistaken... I/H/E might add a total of about 35-45 HP? And it cost in the neighborhood of about $600 installed. That's pretty darn close to the S/C at a fraction of the price.

4. Alex8181

Alex8181 Administrator

From my previous experiences, even 35hp on I/H/E is not really attainable. You should expect more along the lines of 10-20hp.

It all depends on what your overall goal is. The highest horsepower for the buck will still be some kind of forced induction (actually it's NOS, but i don't want to go there). If you decide to go all out NA and want to get the same amount of horsepower, eventually you'll spend the same amount or even more than what forced induction would cost you in the first place.

5. Leon

Leon Member

what about pulleys and cams?

I'm trying to avoid force induction if I could so I don't have to mess with the ECU

6. SupachargedSupawhite

Um no I/H/E for the tC will ever make 35-45hp.

Intake will cost you about $250 new
    Header will cost you about $300 new
    S-pipe will cost you about $150 new
    Cat-back stainless steel exhaust will cost you about $600 new

That equates to about $1300 new WITHOUT installation. From all of these mods, you will get maybe 20whp. = $65 per 1whp

The TRD supercharger gives the tC about 55whp for $3000 shipped WITHOUT installation. = $55 per 1whp

7. Alex8181

Alex8181 Administrator

Even if you go NA, by the time you go beyond I/H/E, you'll need the benefits of some type of engine management to fully tune and get the most out of those mods.

I would consider what your goals are. If you're looking for ultimate horesepower, I would save your money and get forced induction. If you're looking for modest power and long-term reliability than do I/H/E.

8. Leon

Leon Member

Alex, I like modest power and not temper with the ECU. I have had bad experience with my previous vehicle about massive power. I replaced the engine three times :)

SuperWhite, perhaps the I/H/E would only add less than 30hp but the price for those that you listed is way too much?? Am I the only one that is paying less for my mods? I do have buddies here that owns and operate a "Pimp My Ride" kind of store. I can get those parts about $600 and I'll install them myself. The paint job that I have on my car would run about $5,000 to $7,000 but I merely paid 10% of it.

Supercharger sounds nice but the dealer here charges $4,000 for it. Although with the I/H/E it might not be half the horsepower you get with the supercharger but sure beats the price! The price I can get the I/H/E from my buddies is about 15% of the supercharge's cost.

What other mods do you guys know of to add hp without reprogramming the ECU?

9. Alex8181

Alex8181 Administrator

In that case I would probably move onto tranny mods. You can get a lot of drivability from a short shifter, flywheel, or a clutch.

10. SupachargedSupawhite

Unless you are getting a custom exhaust made by a muffler shop, thats the price those product cost. note: the prices I listed are for brand new parts. Of course you can get them used for much cheaper. I am just trying to compare apples to apples here.

11. Leon

Leon Member

HKS or Greddy exhaust runs around $200.
    DC 4-2-1 headers runs about $250.
    Injen intake S/R runs about $80. Injen CIA runs about $150.

Those are brand names mods, but if you don't care about the brand you can get those parts for half the price.

For intake, just get a pvc pipe and a 3" K&N filter cost you like $30??
    Headers, CNC machine with stainless steel pipe and weilding cost you like $100?
    Exhaust, like superwhite said.. a muffler shop for $20?

A total of $150 for I/H/E for generic parts that does the same as the name brands.

12. SupachargedSupawhite

I wouldn't go as far to say that the generic parts do the same as the name brands. The price I gave the exhaust was for a full cat back exhaust. The HKS and Greddy are axle-back I believe, which don't really do much in the performance area. More for looks and sound. And if I am correct the Injen SRI and CAI are the same thing. It can just be configured both ways. You still have to pay the CAI price.

13. Tanubis

Tanubis New Member

if your going to go F/I I reccomend an aftermarket exhaust becuase if you use the factory one you might get alot of backfiring :)

14. Leon

Leon Member

What's F/I?

Fuel Injection????

Well, I'm trying to save money for the Greddy Turbo Kit and have to save more for installation and tuning.

15. Tanubis

Tanubis New Member

lol F/I means forced induction.:)

16. Leon

Leon Member

cool thanks,

turbo kits are too expensive for me now.. gonna be at least a year at the

earliest.

17. Xavier bro..

Xavier bro.. New Member

Like yourself, I wasn't looking to spend $3500 in a supercharge kit, but I wanted something that was affordable and that could make a lil' noise.. I say... you get yourself a nice Injen cold-air intake, and with some DC headers, and a decent exhaust (nothing loud and flashy please- this class is too classy for that sh*t), and that'll bring you up atleast 35hp more, and well under a $1,000'ish_ Just a thought

18. INVINCIBLE

INVINCIBLE New Member

Like they say no I/H/E will give you 35-45 whp...

19. Madzozs

Madzozs New Member

All these dynos were taken from another scion forum. I will gladly supply the link that has all this information at the bottom of this post.

Stock wHP is 136.84 as per this dyno.

wHP with a Greddy Evo2 axleback is 142.16 according to this dyno.

5.32 wHP gain.

--------

this dyno was done with the Greddy Evo2 axleback, but the gain is still the same.
    wHP with stock headers is 141.17 and with Alphawerks header is 150.25 according to this dyno.

gain of 9.08 wHP

--------

The intake dyno was done with Alphawerks headers on but like I mentioned above, the gain is the same.
    wHP with stock air intake is 149.41 according to this dyno
    wHP with the Injen CAI was 157.50 according to this dyno.

gain of 8.09 wHP
    --------

From the tests used, there is a total of 22.49 wHP gained.

It may not be 35-45, but its still not that bad. Now if you add in some NST pulleys, and a Fidanza flywheel, you can probably pull close to another 10-20 HP out of your car. It's amazing what weight removal can do.

Also, as mentioned, the page I took this information from can be found here. I had nothing to do with these tests, I was just using this to help me plan out some work for my car the other day and thought I'd help others out.

20. sunnyrodeo

sunnyrodeo New Member

most headers are not street legal for one and voids warranty possibly.. it will depend on wat breaks. if you want fast NA car u will have to rev the motor like crazy and i dont think this engine is really built for that. high torque motor. it will cost cheaper to get supercharger or turbo. there are companies selling unichip upgrade for trd super charger adnd you can run little more boost to 240whp with abbout same amont in torque. i think you only get little more than that with turbo. ( at least at a safe boost). so super charging is not a bad way. oh and u get to keep all the warranty. but then i would still go for the turbo.