Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Tire Size Question

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by 08supawhite, Mar 2, 2008.

1. 08supawhite

08supawhite Member

Hey I'm just curious. Can the stock suspension tC fit a 235/35/19 series tire? Thanks a lot for your help! Also, what do y'all think of these?
    [​IMG]

2. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

No., 225 width is the safest threshold for 7inch width wheel base. And even at that, 225 is pushing it.

You'll need at Least 7.5's, preferably 8's to run 235's.

And 35 sidewall size is much too small for the stock 17inches.

18x8 rims will fit 235/35's pretty well.

Don't expect a comfy ride though.

3. lukeyd900

lukeyd900 Member

Also, make sure that the wheel that you choose has an offset of 45 or higher, or you're going to get some rubbing.

4. 08supawhite

08supawhite Member

Yeah, 225 for a 7 inch wide rim is pushing it. I am looking at a 19x8 though with an offset of 45. So would a 235/35/19 series work, or should I go with a 225/35/19 series? Yeah, a not so comfy ride doesn't really bother me that much. haha!

5. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

If ya want the 19's it'll be mostly for looks then, not so much performance.

I'm just worried you may get some rubbing with 19's, especially if you're lowered.

18x8 is a good solid bet.

6. 08supawhite

08supawhite Member

Yeah, I am concerned about that too. I have talked to a few people about it and they said if it's an 8 inch wide rim, I should be okay. I just need to watch my offset and tire width. So hopefully a 45 or a 40 offset wheel with a 225/35/19 or a 235/35/19 tire will be okay; preferably a 235 series. What do you think Soulbane, or anyone else for that matter?

Yeah, I know an 18x8 is a solid bet but I love the look of a 19!

7. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Yeah, I'm down with everything you're saying, I just think you and I disagree when it comes to taste.

19's are bigger thus more expensive, the resulting tires will be more expensive, and there will be minnimal if not worse performance gains.

I'm an all SPEED kinda guy, looks is really not important to me. I'm frugal with my modding, so if the modification doesn't assist my performance, I don't waste my time/money on it.

The 18's or 17's, (in general, not always) will be cheaper, more comfortable, and give you the performance you want. Sometimes too large of a wheel creates problems in balance and handling.

JGTC 500 cars don't run anything larger than 18's for this very reason. The CUSCO STi, the ARTA NSX, the NISMO Fairlady Z, etc are pushing 350-500 whp on racing set ups. Granted their tire dimensions are around 305/40/18 on 18x10's, but still the point remains the same. There is a point where you're spending money on looks alone, and little on anything else.

If the show and looks is what you're aiming for, go for it man. But I'm just offering my opinion regarding the matter.

If I had my chance to upgrade my tC's wheels (which is not for a while) I'd still get 17's, my ideal wheels are 17x8.5 with +40mm offsets. I rode with 17's and 18's on my WRX, and I also rode on 18's with an '96 Eclipse GSX. 17's still felt and performed the best. I lean towards all performance (in touge and auto-x contexts) and little to no show.

Sleeper all the way.

8. 08supawhite

08supawhite Member

Yeah Soulbane, I know exactly what you mean when it comes to performance. Yet, I have done my research and have decided to go with enhancing the Style/Looks side of my tC for a number of reasons. The first of which being, I do not have the money to turbo/supercharge and make all of the necessary upgrades that accompany a turbo/super. Secondly, I do not think I could handle having that much horsepower: I think I would get into too much trouble so, it is best that I not. haha! On the contrary though, I am not totally neglecting the performance aspect. I will make some minor performance modifications such as a CAI, Catback exhaust system, Hotchkis Sway Bars, and maybe Eibach Pro or Sportline lowering springs but that's about it.

I love the looks of our cars and think for me, it would be perfect if I made mine into a show car. I do plan on entering my first show coming up in May in Little Rock, Arkansas and I am really excited about it. What I have planned will be perfect and even if I don't win anything, I still look forward to the experience.

But say if I went with the 19x8's (there still is a possibility that I will go with 18x8's) what tire size would you recommend that will not cause any rubbing?

9. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Well with 35's you're off putting the traditional 45's by 10. So I think you should be ok. You should ask guys like Boogie, Hotrice or Navy, who have their cars lowered, they can offer you a much more straightforward opinion.

I think to be on the safe side, the 18's would be yes, but if people have consistently gotten away with 19's on relatively normal drops, then I'd say go for that.

10. 08supawhite

08supawhite Member

Yeah, I'll definitely ask around. I have seen 19's on a tC with a 2 inch drop and I asked the owner if he had ever gotten any rub and he replied, no. I don't know how reliable that is though because it seems as though you would definitely rub with that that size rim/tire at that much of a drop. Who knows? He could have had his fenders rolled.