Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

tC Headers

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by NARUTO, Sep 10, 2006.

1. NARUTO

NARUTO New Member

Hi there everyone

I'm new here, but i've been cheking out this site a lot.
    I really like this site, it's one of the best sites i've seen.

i'm 20 years old i live in tulsa, OK
    I have a 2006 scion tC and I love it, I have TRD intake system, TRD exhaust istalled.

I wanted to know if TRD have made any headers for tC?

and what is the best Headers to have? and does it void the warranty?

thanks alot
    :)

2. zero__zero

zero__zero New Member

Hi - as far as I know, TRD does not make a header for the tC...at least one that's available through a dealership. I don't have a header on my car, nor will I be putting one on. I just don't want the hassle of getting the CEL fixed and rasp that's added with one...don't get me wrong, it will give you some HP, but if you're gonna do it right, you need to do the entire exhaust system (widen the diameter of the pipe), which means replacing your $450+ TRD axle-back exhaust.

But if you just want the header, DC puts a nice one out, as does Megan. I haven't heard anything about any others. I'm not sure there's a "best" - it comes down to personal choice.

I, too, am warranty-conscious (stupid responsibility complex...); the only way that your warranty can be voided is if it can be proven that the part in question is what caused whatever breakdown occurred (unless there's some loophole I missed, in which case, I'm effed).

3. NARUTO

NARUTO New Member

Thanks alot for replying zero_zero, I appreciate ur help. ur reply almost changed my mind, now I'm thinking of TRD's supercharger instead.

I wanna know how much HP i have in my current state.
    (TRD intake + TRD exaust)?

and what else can i do to get more HP.

thanks alot for replying again.

4. tC-iaN

tC-iaN New Member

intake and exhaust wont give you a serious increase in hp. it just increases your throttle response and air flow. you wont get more then 10hp out of it. the trd supercharger on the other hand will give you around 70hp from what ive read and heard. if you dont wanna violate warrenty add it. if you want a serious increase in horsepower go turbo. zpi has stage 0 and 1 at the most 300hp.

5. zero__zero

zero__zero New Member

As for HP - the only true test is to get it on a dyno (I'd guess you're at about 165 - remember, the tC is advertised at 160, but it really only has 136-138 HP at the wheel). With your TRD parts, you may have added 4 or 5 HP to the car. The exhaust is still the same width of the stock pipe, so you're not getting much benefit from it (other that a great sound), and the TRD intake is only 2.5" wide...the Injen (which is a 3" pipe) adds about 8 HP or so. But the TRD bypass valve will prevent hydrolock on your tC in the event that you hit a massive puddle and/or take your tC swimming...if I were guessing, I'd say the Injen only gives an additional few HP over the TRD CAI. Nothing you'd really notice.

The TRD supercharger advertises adding on about 25% more horse (when using 91+ octane fuel)...I haven't heard anyone dynoing their car with the TRD SC on it, so I can't verify how much actually gets to the ground. In the scheme of things, having a 200 HP supercharged car isn't all that, but having it covered under the warranty umbrella is definitely a plus (as long as a Toyota dealership installs it, which will cost you few hundred bucks more - my dealer quoted me $4,000 for the SC and the install, and it would take all day to do), and it is still much better than a stock tC. As tC-iaN says, if you want some major HP, go with the turbo - GReddy and TurboNetics both have a turbo that adds 100 HP, and the the Stage 1 would take you into the 300 HP range...but bye-bye warranty, and if you're putting 300 HP through the tC's 2.4 L, you'll need to do additional engine work to handle it. It sounds like you want to get as much HP outta your tC, but you wanna keep the warranty intact. Go with the TRD SC.

Also, the stock wheels won't give you the traction you need, so upgrade the wheels too (if you haven't already). Hope this helps.

6. NARUTO

NARUTO New Member

thanks for the tips guys ..

zero_zero what wheels would u recommend to upgrade to.

7. zero__zero

zero__zero New Member

Wow...wheels are a whole other animal. As for which ones to get...I'd say that's personal choice. What I do know is that the stock tC tires are pretty bad when it comes to traction. Depending on if you dropped your car (or are planning to), would affect what wheels you could fit. Check tirerack.com for some wheels for your stock suspension - I'd say anything in the 18's by 7.5 to 8 inches wide. Not sure how wider tires would go before hitting.

8. peruano85

peruano85 Member

^^^^ your telling me..the potenzas suck on wet paving but in dry they handle like a beauty..especilly with the car lowered :)

9. monkeyzz510

monkeyzz510 Member

I just wanna kno if you get headers for your car does it make it smog legal?

10. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

It depends whos doing the inspection.

11. monkeyzz510

monkeyzz510 Member

i got no hook ups so hows that going to work?

12. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

then.. too bad... re-install your stock header.. (there's only ONE (not headers))

and have it smog checked then.

13. TXTc

TXTc New Member

Hp

I have a friend that has a Gtech meter, and we dynoed my car in at about 151.9 or so. I have about the same upgrades at you do. My intake is an Injen cold air intake, but it should be about the same give or take one or two hp. I would like to do the header upgrade, but want to find one that will not throw a code. A friend wants me to turbo it, and is willing to build a system for it, just because. I'm turning 14.5s in the quarter mile, if that helps any.

14. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Just be glad you don't live in California, the land of Nazi (and the most restrictive) emissions standards.

That's why most people here go Sleeper. If a cop pulls you over and calls in a automotive inspector (happens a lot in SoCal) and they find two things that are illegal, your car gets impounded and you get to spend a night in county! Yay!

If you can get incognito headers, and try to modify the stock heatshield so it fits over. Making your car look as stock as possible is very very important.

In CA at least.

15. navylife59

Welcome aboard. Be sure to read the stickies in the Performance (this)
    section. Your clsoe enough to Big D to head on down and see Kenny and the boys at Jotech. :) Call and talk to Tony 972-278-9744. He can help you out. Ask him about the CF hood deal.

Where abouts in Texas? I have a Gtech also. Have not run it in a long time. Stock with just the TRD axleback it said that I was around 134HP. I only made one pass so it most likely was not accurate. Only headers with a cat will not throw a code. Look in the Engine Section of our Tech Articles and you will find a safe, simple, and reliable fix.

16. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

:eek:wow:eek: that just sucks! i feel bad for tuners across the board out there :(

17. gdup4sho23

gdup4sho23 New Member

Damn

that sucks...im glad I dont live in Cali...here in Florida we get away with murder lol

18. e2d23d.com

e2d23d.com New Member

Sup

Im a new member and currently in process of putting minimal mods on my TC does anyone know where I can find a good price on an O2 Simulator and Scan Guage....I have an 4to1 OBX Header and S-Pipe my Anti fouler was a waste it does not work...but with a simulator I heard it makes a difference....I am looking for some websites I can find an O2 Simulator and Scan gauge for the TC:confused:

19. timescars

timescars New Member

TRD stuff

The intake and muffler wont add a whole lot of power, BUT they do make the 5k-6k RPM range not so asthmatic,and they sound AWSOME.

The super charger is exspensive. about 3500 with install for your 06. its nice, but its only 200HP (@ the crank) It also has a high bearing failure because it is not cooled. And its not compatible with the TRD intake. Although you can mod the intake the SC comes with with a K&N setup.

Also if you go SC you may wanna upgrade your clutch if you plan on driving it hard. And doing a new radiator will help keep the engine temp down. (The SC is forced induction which means its compressing air, air is a gas and boyles law says it heats up.) Also the stock radiator is.... ok....

The trd SC, with a full (header back) Exhaust would be pretty fun though.

Good luck

20. navylife59

A few updates here.
    * The 2006 S/C kits run for about $1850~$1950.
    * The bearing issue was from the TRD supplied idler pulley and torque shaft bearings. Improper torque sequence by the installer would side-load the torque shaft bearings causing early failure. TRD most likely has not replaced these as failure was related to improper install or overspeed (pulley swap). The idler pulley setup was changed from a dual to a single pulley setup for 2007-up. Unknown if the bearing has changed or the original 2 pulley kits continue with the same bearing. As this kits are built up by TRD or Vortech (?), one would hope that these problem bearings were replaced with better units.
    * Complete stock(manual) tC's with stock(7PSI) TRD S/C setup have been known to dyno at 193~199WHP. That is more than the 40BHP stated by TRD, especially, when you consider stock N/A tC's with dyno numbers from 142~153WHP.
    * Stock clutch works perfectly fine on the TRD S/C setups even to 10PSI/230WHP. It is all a matter of how ya use or abuse it. Back in the early days as people began to turbo the tC and push the limits, the stock clutch held up even under track conditions. Of course, constant track abuse quickly wore out the clutch. Few tC's mustered enough torque to overload the clamping force the stock pressure plate/clutch setup. Nowadays, most turbo kits are blasting past the capability of the stock setup. A good rule of thumb is an upgrade for anything beyond 240WHP is recommended and 300WHP is required. At this point, tires and an LSD should also be considered.
    * According to Ken at TRDSparks.com, Friday February the 27th will be the death knell for the TRD S/C. This will be the last day that TRD will fill any orders. Any and all kits still on TRD's shelves will be destroyed for business loss write-offs. Anything left in the market will be at Dealership/Retailers
    only. TRD will still offer full warranty and replacement parts.