Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Software for tuning

Discussion in 'Tuning and Dyno Results' started by DRoyalties, May 6, 2009.

1. DRoyalties

DRoyalties New Member

Has anyone performed their own tuning from home? What type of software did you use? Are you able to tell the engine the pulley set up is different?

2. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

What do you mean by someone's own tuning from home?

3. DRoyalties

DRoyalties New Member

Someone using a personal laptop with tuning software installed to change settings to the scion tc computer.

4. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

I think there are a couple of guys on here with Greddy Ultimate.

5. Blue04Scooby

Blue04Scooby New Member

Whoa Whoa Whoa are you running all motor or and Forced Induction???? :bi::bi::bi::bi: Because if not you really dont need to do any of this. And a "tuning at home" kind of idea is also dangerous. I am an AEM Factory Ceritified Tuner and also am a head tech and tuner at a local speed shop in my town. Now if you have a built motor for high compression or maybe a Turbo kit on a stock block or even a built low compression motor for turbo then I could see you needing a Engine Management Unit. But still I would only let a trained professional be the one to tune your car.

6. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

That is so very true. What shop do you work for? Represent.

I believe the original poster was wanting to know if the Scion ECM could be tuned like that on other and older imports. We failed to tell him that the ECM is encrypted and a piggyback would be required. I am one of those individuals running the Greddy Ultimate. Since like 2006 till I had enough of it's blunderings and yanked it. Car is running great with the power that I was originally expecting but just on the ECM with the TRD S/C 7PSI reflash. What is cool is that I am hitting 15PSI at redline with 550cc injectors and no intercooling on 93 Octane pump gas (estimate 245-250WHP. The Ultimate only made 217WHP tuned by Kenny Tran. I know there is a tuner in Puerto Rico that has done some amazing things with the Ultimate on a tC so my Ultimate must be jacked up defective. This is a testament to ability of the ECM to protect the engine and the all importance of running the TRD reflash on a S/C setup. Not sure if a Stage 0 turbo setup could benefit from the reflash.

7. Blue04Scooby

Blue04Scooby New Member

Hybrid Dynamics is the name of the shop we are located in Derry TWP Westmoreland County PA and you do have some pretty amazing numbers there my friend I had a ridiculous tC before it got old quick and i moved on to the subie community

8. navylife59

There are 2 Subie guys in my Squadron. One currently owns a tC after crashing his Subie. Traction is definitely difficult at my current power level. If I can get this belt slip problem on the S/C pulley, I should see atleast 10WHP more.

9. AlexZe

AlexZe New Member

Thats only a bad idea if you don't have the knowledge to tune it or a shop that can do it for you... but just doesn't have the software to tune your stock ECU. I have the knowledge and a shop that says they'll dyno tune it if I bring them the software to use. Can anyone help me track down a program that'll do this? I especially want is since I'm about to put on my 9.5psi NST s/c pulley and I want more than what Toyota's stock s/c flash will give me without spending $700-$2000 on a piggyback or standalone just yet.

10. navylife59

You don't need it for anything under 10PSI. I am speaking from direct experience. Piggyback controller only fool the ECM for a limited time. It gets wise to this fast and takes back over. What you get on the dyno with a piggyback one day, you won't have near that 2 days later. It learns and adapts. It is the Borg of ECU's and not to be trifled with. :duel:

As long as you are running atleast 89 Octane and have the TRD flash, you can run the ECM alone w/o issue. You can even replace your TRD airbox with a custom SRI like I did. If you really are worried or want the extra ponies then you can pony up for a water/meth injection kit. I am running a 15 PSI pulley, 550cc injectors w/o issue and that is with no piggyback (disconnected) and no water/meth injection. It has been about 5 months now. My problem was the belt slipping which seems to be gone now that I put a Goodyear Gatorback on there.

Can you make more power with a piggyback or stand alone, of course. Is it worth the money and effort on a piggyback to have it nullified by the ECM? Is it worth the money for a stand alone on anything less than a stage 3 turbo setup?

11. Turbo_TC05

Turbo_TC05 New Member

Why are y running a super charger when you have all the extras all ready and can run a complete turbo kit and make insane amount more HP????

12. navylife59

That is what Kenny Tran and Tony Cheung over at Jotech keep asking me. The simple answer is that everyone else is turbo'd. I want to be different. The fact that a S/C works better on a road course is where I really am making my decision. I am looking at tracking my car in the future but won't have the money for all of the bells and whistles to keep the turbo in boost to leave a corner early. Kenny almost had me talked into a turbo on this motor when he let me talk him out of the original Nitto tC HKS turbo and one-off manifold. This is the very first turbo ever hung on a tC so the nostalgia is almost too much to pass on. He may yet talk me into it as my plan to switch to a Rotrex is falling on deaf ears with Kraftwerks. They are the only US distributor for that line. Another key piece, the Antonov planetary 2-speed drive engineered for the Rotrex is only being made available to OEMs. I am now on the hunt for an alternative. Any suggestions?

13. rbrick220

rbrick220 Member

So based on all of this talk about how intelligent the stock ECM is, I pose a question: I have CAI/Weap-R Header/Apexi Exhaust. At what point do i have to worry about the AFR? I am looking to install a RX8 throttle body, possibly stage 1 or 2 cams with valves and springs, and possibly weapons intake manifold (although it has been said that is pointless without FI). At what point would i want to install my AEM F/IC, or will it just be counter productive and be outsmarted by the stock ECM ? I already have the F/IC but the local shop wants $1000 to tune it. If this was part of a serious build, fine, it cost to be in the game... but with non-fully built NA motor, its steep.

14. navylife59

Save your money! A grand to tune a piggyback is preposterous. That might be the cost of install and full tune on a standalone. All that you are going to be able to tune on a piggyback is WOT fuel trim. 2-3 runs on a dyno will take care of that. The RX8 TB mod is senseless till you either increase cylinder pressures either by increased compression, NOx, or FI. Increasing airflow can make the engine run lean