Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Scion Tc Hidden Lemon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kotomuto, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kotomuto

Kotomuto New Member

Known Issue with a chemical odor charged from the air condition
    Scion of America has published a technical bulletin regarding a sulfur odor smell generated when using the air condition, this problem has persisted and Scion cannot find a solution to treat, repair or fix the problem except trying to perform series of several unpractical and ineffective desperate schemes to patch up this problem and to down play the seriousness of this hazardous issue. Some of these “Mickey Mouse” schemes that was suggested to repair the problem Included but not limited to applying and spraying odor suppressant such as LYSOL and commercial anti –odor known as OZIUM through the vents in order to eliminate the toxic odor development. They also suggested to keep the engine running for 10-15 minutes after every trip and before turning the ignition off and to adjust the Air condition controls to full blast in an attempt to discharge the harmful odors . All these non sense and ineffective methods to repair the problem neither had any effectiveness on stopping the harmful odors from dispensing nor was a practical part of a solution to solve or eliminate the odors from developing and continually charging onto the vehicle cabin, but rather increased the level of frustration and anxiety to every owners of such vehicle. These Sulfur odors have a very serious toxic implication and can have a severe consequence on drivers; it does impair the ability to operate the vehicle safely since this odor can seriously cause a relentless nausea and deliver a state of unconsciousness which weakens the driver’s ability to maintain and have a full control of the vehicle and compromises the safety of everyone including passengers and drivers alike.
    I have struggled with this problem since I purchased my new 2006 model and I have gone through the unimaginable to have this problem repaired and/or fixed. I could consciously and without any hesitation state that all attempts made to resolve this problem were in vain and waste of my time througout the three years of ownership of this vehicle. The reason behind the desperate the non effective repairs that were performed by various dealers are commonly known as a hidden lemon which the dealer can’t repair of fix and it is beyond their scope of expertise. The vehicle structural design appears in my opinion to be faulty which requires the company to go back to the drawing board and re-design the engine in a way that does not conflict with the Air conditioning system and to prevents the engine from developing this toxic odors that emits through the air conditioning ventilation system onto the passenger’s cabin.
    I have negotiated a lemon law legal suit against the company. The case was mediated and Toyota USA was obligated to buy-back the vehicle for the full purchase price.

2. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

I wouldn't say that the company needs to redesign the engine. This is the first time I've ever heard of it. I have no problems with mine. I think you just got a bad car.

3. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

First I have heard of a Scion with an odor problem. My 2007 Camry does have an odor problem that seems centered around the air conditioning. They also don't have an idea to fix it. My 2007 Tundra and 2 Scion tC's do not have an odor problem.

4. Redneck4csa

So....what does that mean?

5. navylife59

Toyota has a problem with mold buildup on the AC evaporator coils. This is due to moisture staying on the evaporator. Toyota knows of the issue and claims that this is environment related and that all car manufacturers have this issue. This is the first car that I ever owned that has this problem. My fiancee can not even ride in the car anymore with or w/o the AC on.

6. Redneck4csa

Not to get off topic but, Navy, when did she make the transition from girlfriend to fiancee?

7. Kotomuto

Kotomuto New Member

Hazardous Fumes

This is not a problem with mold buildup on the AC evaporator coils. This is NOTdue to moisture staying on the evaporator. It is toxic fumes that are produced as a result of bad exhaust malfunction in the structural design of the engine and its smog release components.
    Again Toyota is very desperate to play down this lemon issue by various bogus claims and allegation to burden themselves from any legal liabilities for recovery or compensations arising from any law suits.

8. TheFantasticG

TheFantasticG Member

My wife has the SAME odor problem with her A/C in her 2007 tC...

9. navylife59

She get's promoted and demoted all the time.

Your issue sounds like you have a defective catalytic converter or leak in your s-pipe perhaps the donut gasket at the header. This is not a flaw in design as no one else has mentioned this problem. If there is an exhaust odor in your car, that is very serious. Beyond making you sick, it could cause unconsciousness. If your Dealership and Toyota Customer Care does not provide satisfaction, then suggest you hire an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law.

10. Kotomuto

Kotomuto New Member

Buy-back

I hired an attorney and Toyota did buy the car back for the full purchase price just to avoid a law suit and to prevent this untreatable known issue to be publicly accessible to other potential Scion Tc owners to seek similar approaches and file more law suit cases against them, they just preferred to buy it back and to put a lid on this case.

11. travis1041

travis1041 Member

I have never had a problem with smell, but i would really like to know how many people have had this issue. Oh and i don't mean the musty or mold smell.

12. JMSTC

JMSTC Member

Is there a way to have your car tested for this problem or do I just have to wait for it to present itself? I have a bad sense of smell and I don"t think I would notice it if it was there. Could I just walk into my dealer and say :WTFsmiley: I heard about this problem and I want to have my car tested for it? I love my car! She's my other lover. :BacktoTopic: I wouldn't want to give her back.

13. Kotomuto

Kotomuto New Member

Toyota dealers are aware and very convinced that the problem does exist :troll: but they won’t take any active role in addressing or acknowledging its existence to avoid all contests brought by those who are affected and still experiencing the severity of this hazardous problem .

14. JMSTC

JMSTC Member

How did you get a responce out of them? You said they bought it back from you, did you get a new one? May be I could go in, complain and get somthing free out of it.

15. navylife59

That is their standard response on any issues. My brand new Tundra with a clanging motor and jerking rear-end, as well as, the wornout front tires, hard drift, A/C odor, and sticking window are all just "normal" and "all the cars do that" are the standard responses.