Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Right Rear End Squeak when Parking Brake is on

Discussion in 'Suspension & Brakes' started by NTRodda, Feb 26, 2012.

1. NTRodda

NTRodda New Member

Hi - I have an '07 tC that has developed a squeak at the right rear wheel. I first noticed it when I was stopped checking the mail. I got out (unloaded the suspension) and heard the squeak. I took the wheel off and sprayed silicone lubricant on the bushings, but that didn't help.

When I put the wheel back on and turned it against the PB, thats when the squeaking would happen. I release the PB and the wheel spins freely with no squeak.

So, not sure if its a brake problem or something in the suspension. Its possible that with the wheel on I can put enough leverage into the suspension to make it squeak? But I don't hear a squeak when braking during driving. Pads are good. Any help is appreciated.

2. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

What bushings are your referring to exactly? Have you checked getting out of the car with the parking brake disengaged to duplicate the error? Does the squeak happen when the car is moving at all?

Just by what you stated above, my initial prognosis is that perhaps your parking brake shoes are worn and/or your parking brake cable needs to be adjusted (tightened). Either of those conditions can put one or both sets of brake shoes in loose contact with the drum part of the rear rotor. When you step out of the car, the suspension readjusts for the change in weight which sometimes rocks the car back and forth. This could be just enough all the rear rotor to rotate against a parking brake shoe that not fully engaging the drum. Additionally, rust, mud, or water intrusion can cause this.

FYI: To get a visual of the parking brake at the rear wheel, follow the link below and look at the attached image.
    http://www.club-tc.com/forums/suspension/4934-rear-axle-hub-bolt-replacement-aka-wheel-studs.html

3. NTRodda

NTRodda New Member

The squeak doesn't happen at all when the car is moving. I parked and left the PB off but did not hear the squeak when I got in or out.

I took the wheel off and I'm pretty sure now that it is the parking brake. Actually better that than the bushings or ball joints. I adjusted the shoes against the drum, but I was still able to move it enough to get the squeak. Sounds like a rubbing/creaking spring or something. I'll probably need to take the drum off to look at it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to adjust the cable tension and see if that fixes it. I can't believe that the shoes are worn out. But you may be right, something may have got into the drum.

4. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

The parking brake shoes are held by a thin steel bracket. This bracket can easily bend from jamming the parking brake will driving to initiate a skid or from erroneously forcing the rear rotor off with the parking brake engaged. Yes, I am guilty of the latter. :^(