Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

OK. Let's Talk About The Future Of The tC And Scion/Toyota In General

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by navylife59, Jul 15, 2009.

1. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

There is much rumor and speculation about what is going on over in the Land of the Rising Sun. Toyota has long been chastised for dumping the performance segment by retiring the Supra and Celica GT-S. With the great success of the Scion tC and the new Camry, Toyota has begun to shift back to the performance side of the house, but only a little. To help this endeavor in today's rough financial climate, Toyota has teamed up with competitor Subaru which has continually evolved it's sport cars to provide an affordable platform to build a serious race car. It is all about the cost to gear up a true performance engineering division. Subaru is an established leader so time to market costs will be mitigated.

The best place to start off this discussion is to read what is already out there. Being that we are late (fashionably) to this party, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Listed below are links that provide accurate insight to what is going on and not a bunch of speculative rhetoric. This list will be added to accordingly in the original post so be sure to check it often.

2. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

I would love to see a project like this take flight. I love my tC, but it is not exactly a performance machine with my current setup.

3. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Why was a dual manufacturer nessasary for this? It looks f**kin money though!

By the way, imo, celicas were never anything to write home about as far a sports cars go. The WRC car was pretty dope, but the street legal mass produced celicas were all show, no go.

4. navylife59

The Celica, like others, were just a platform that could easily be built up to something more like the MR2. If you look at it, the Supra was all that special in stock trim either. All in all, Toyota has never been considered a performance car company. That is why there was TRD that has only, in the past few years, been taken over by Toyota.

Oh, but you are so right. It's all about the Yenjamins. :drool5:

5. mikeysherm

mikeysherm Member

6. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Finally! Toyota has nothing in the street racer's market right now. Maybe a '98 V6 Camry? Lol! That's what I rocked when I was 16-18.

New car looks sick.

7. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

It looks....ok. Who knows, if they put it into production, it might grow on me. I'd have to see alot more details to make my final verdict. I love my tC and I love STi's. This is somewhat of a hybrid between the two. But I still need a price and some technical specs.

8. navylife59

Me likey. Not so much the interior, but the exterior and stance is sexy. The interior is JDM so the US market might see something slightly different for the left-hand changeover. Speaking of, can we say that it will have JDM support! If this is destined to be the tC replacement, it will be a good one. I sure like that 6 on the shifter. Now to shoe-horn in a dual turbo 2GR-FE.

I merged and stickied this with a prior conversation.

9. mikeysherm

mikeysherm Member

thnx nvay, more people seem to reply when u post threads lol

10. navylife59

2011 Scion tC to be unveiled

From a trusted source that works directly with Toyota/Scion America, the new 2011 Scion tC is to be unveiled at this year's New York Auto Show! According to the source who had firsthand contact with the car, the over all body style is to be very similar to the current body but with sharper lines. He equates it to the new Dodge Charger. The power train is going to be the 2AR-FE and trans from the 2010 Camry. What the exact power specs will be is not known but would expect it to be the full power. This is what I predicted quite a while back to be the replacement for the 2AZ-FE.

2.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve Dual VVT-i; 179 hp @ 6000 rpm; 171 lb.-ft. @ 4100 rpm

So all the buzz about the FT-86 was for naught apparently. Well, on with the new Toyota Supra rumor mill then.

11. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

I am personally disappointed that Scion/Toyota is doin' away with the tC. The tC may not have blown the roof off when it came to sales, but as far as I am concerned it was a better built car than the Celica GT-S. As mentioned in a prior post, Celica's were nice cars, but in all reality, all show and no go. I also am not to keen on Toyota merging with Subaru. Although, the power that WRX Sti's pack with the Boxer Engine and the distinctive sound they makes for a very nasty combination. Personally if TRD really got their crap together, they could build one serious mean and badass street/racing machine w/o having to resort on others to bail them out. The MR2 and Supra were IMO the best cars made and are still icons on the streets today. I have a personal friend of mine that is a diehard Toyota fan and all they own are toyota's. They also own a 1991 Toyota MR2 that is one beast of a machine. They had a JDM MR2 Turbo Crate Motor shipped over from Japan and built the car from the ground up. A fast car none the less, but its only a show car and its not raced. I have even competed against them at numerous carshows, and it has made for quite a challenge for the judges to vote on a 1st place and 2nd place winner when we're in the same class.

On another note, we will soon be seeing the release of the F-86 Concept, and last I heard its going to be in the lastest version of Gran Turismo coming in March. This car is going to pack some serious power, and is suppose to give the new Nissan 370Z a run for its money and then some. Not postitive if this is the car that Toyota/Subaru are building. Being a Scion owner and tuner, the Scion tC's will hold its place in history and I feel when our children are tuning, they will customize a tC at some point.

12. navylife59

Hold your horses. The tC ain't going away. It is just not going to be the FT-86 variant that was originally speculated. Since it is not, then what will the FT-86 end up being if it goes into full production?

13. navylife59

Well, we kinda left this topic cold so it is about time to warm it back up.

The new 2011 tC has been unveiled back in March. From the looks of the picts, it is based on the same frame with a few body tweaks similar to the Fox Body Mustangs from 1979-1993. This is what I felt that Scion would be doing, despite the illicit rumors of the FT-86. Although the FT-86 concept would be totally bad arse, it is too costly for the price range concept of the Scion Brand. So now we end up with a similar car and a similar motor. This has come to pass as I had assumed it would.

So did we get the shaft? No, quite the opposite. Being built on the same platform, it sure looks like we have a slew of interchangeable parts. Of course, only a hands on look will give the true story. The 2AR-FE is a similar modular engine to the 2AZ-FE so one hopes that along with the same frame that the new 6-speed manual will also be interchangeable. The brakes are supposedly bigger and the 18" wheels just might translate to more goodies. The seats look dead similar, as does, most of the rest of the interior. I am interested in the door panels. The grilles may look ugly (easy fix), but having the ability to have an OEM 3 speaker component (tweet, mid, and bass) setup.

Ok, so what is the differences and how are they? Well, it has a squared off roof, different front/rear fascias, hood/hatch, and a different style sunroof though it is very similar (maybe interchangeable). The combination gauge looks to be more visually usable as the current one leaves the RPM gauge partially hidden by the steering wheel which on the 2011 looks killer. The rest of the dash, ehh, not so much. The retro air vents are just about fugly, as well as, the jumbo knobs of the environmental controls.

Judge for yourself by checking out the full news story.

2011 Scion tC: 2010 New York Auto Show

14. ACE-tC

ACE-tC Member

ok wait im confused i thought a bigger engine means faster car how is a 1.5 going to compare to a tC or a subi in a race? maybe im just not understanding the specs on the car?

15. ACE-tC

ACE-tC Member

on the subject of cars coming to light whats your guys opinion on the new supra comingout and that its going to be a hybrid?

16. navylife59

Who knows. At this point, we are not even sure there will be a Supra. There is rumor that Toyota might be starting up a sports division.