Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Oil Change resulting in slight power loss between 4.5-6.25k rpm

Discussion in 'Engine Performance' started by Phreak0402, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Phreak0402

Phreak0402 Member

I got my oil changed the other day and decided to switch to synthetic. I put Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20. This was two days ago and over the the course of these two days I have noticed a slight power loss. I am not sure if this is because of the 95 degree weather that is finally here or the oil change. I checked the fluid levels and everything checks out. If anyone has any input to offer I would greatly appreciate it.

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Adequate oil pressure?
    Any CEL's?
    Any issues w/ oil sludging?
    Is your tranny do for service?
    Engine/Water Temps Higher than Normal?
    What octane fuel are you using and buying?
    Are you getting enough fuel pressure?
    Clogged/Dirty Fuel Filter
    When was the last time you added a bottle of fuel injection cleaner?
    Dirty Injectors?
    Dirty Air Filter?
    Are you running your A/C more often?

The heat I am sure is not good and esp w/ any high levels of humidity. Are you running a CAI or SRI?

3. Phreak0402

Phreak0402 Member

The oil pressure is adequate. No CEL. The engine temp never gets out of mid range and is normal. The car only has 13k miles on it so the tranny is good right now I think. currently I am using 89 octane shell gasoline. I have never used fuel injector cleaner in the car. I am not sure which one to use anyhow. I do use the a/c at times but when I have really gotten on it and felt the loss and power was when it was off. I am just not feeling the car really taking off when it hits the higher revs like it did before I got the oil changed. I figure the only reason for this is that possible the synthetic helped to somehow smooth out my hp curve enough where I don't detect that "bam!" of power in the high revs or that there is a loss of power in the high rpms

4. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

I bought my Scion tC (2006 Azure Pearl) back in Nov of 2007 w/ 11,300 miles on it. My first oil change was Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and just recently I went down to Mobil 1 5w 20 Full Synthetic and I use a bottle of fuel injection cleaner every 2000-4000 miles. I honestly have never heard of synthetic oil causing a loss in power, but I am sure anything is possible. Since you have very low miles, you can also add a bottle of Lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer at your next oil change that counts as one of your quarts, I plan on doing this on my next oil change as well. As far as fuel injection/fuel system cleaners go, I would use: Lucas, STP, Chevron w/ Techron, Seafoam, Prestone.

I will admit I have noticed that my tC is a bit doggy off the line as well, but when it gets to about 40mph or close to mid-range power band, the power/torque kicks in and the car hauls arse.

5. ACE-tC

ACE-tC Member

anyone know where i can find a DIY for the fuel filter? im thinking of changing it cause i never touched it before and i think thats what is killing my car at times after taking off and stopping suddenly

6. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member