Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Nitrous question...

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide (NOS)' started by JdmTc, Sep 21, 2007.

1. DubJ

DubJ Member

That's lame. Boo to big brother.

2. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

you know sometimes i love tennessee : ) no emisions laws

3. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

think im gonna move south. seems to be a lot easier to do just about everything south of jersey. and it's warmer :cool: (DUH - lol)

4. Azn Chief

Azn Chief Member

i don't think i'll be doing nitrious any time soon. I'd rather race someone with raw hp than get a boost. I feel better knowing i didn't get help to whoop someone. No offense against people who want to use it. just i enjoy winning without help. PURE RAW HP :D

5. Number2

Number2 New Member

Anything you add on that isn't factory could be considered cheating. Bigger fuel injectors, better tires, stuffing more air into the cylinders with a turbo, or using better fuel (N20).

6. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Somewhat true. The thing about all of those products though, they all deliver continuous power. Not just a quick burst when you need it. If you can beat the guy all-motor, you've done something. If you beat him because you had to hit the nitrous, it's cheating. That's just my opinion. Nitrous is no excuse for lack of power.

7. Number2

Number2 New Member

Nitrous is fuel. Just like 100 octane is fuel. I'm not going to grille someone for using higher than 85 octane in a race.

I understand what you are saying. However there are different components to making cars faster. Better tread, better aerodynamics, increasing displacement, better spark, better fuel, better transmissions and grippier clutches. etc. etc. etc.

"Only reason you won was because you have a stage 4 clutch to help you through the gears!"

"Only reason you won is because you put more oxygen in the intake stroke!"

8. Redneck4csa

Taken from Wikipedia: In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) allows the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in a more powerful combustion. The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures.

Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. Nitrous oxide is sometimes injected into (or prior to) the intake manifold, whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent preignition, or detonation (sometimes referred to as knocking or pinging). Most problems that are associated with nitrous do not come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston, cylinder head or valves, to predetonation.

Now, it is not fuel. It is a liquid/gas that is used for short bursts of power. Any other kind of modification such as better tread, better aerodynamics, increasing displacement, better spark, better fuel, better transmissions and grippier clutches are all things that are used for constant power. Not just a shot every now and then. Now don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to talk you out of it or anything like that. I'm just stating my opinion as well as many friends that I know. You can take more pride in winning just by beating the opponent with bolt-on mods which can be felt whenever you hit the gas. Not just when there's N20 in the tank. Just my :2:.

9. Number2

Number2 New Member

haha, ok, you win.

I don't have the funds to do a full turbo system properly. Don't really race that much, but it would be nice to have the power there for when I need it.

There's just too much that I want to do to my car, that doesn't leave me with thousands to pour into a turbo.

10. Redneck4csa

Very true. I'm in the same boat myself. Every little bit counts though.

11. StreetBrawler89

StreetBrawler89 Member

Just kinda curious, if you dont race why do you want the Nitrous? Not trying to be a skeptic, just curious.

12. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe just for the thrill of it. Quickest way out of the driveway.

13. StreetBrawler89

StreetBrawler89 Member

Just seems like an expensive project if your not going to use it....could just be me.

14. navylife59

Just don't get greedy as the magic go juice will exact a hefty price for that push button happiness. 50HP jets on a dry system is the limit. Wet system can push it to 75HP jets. 100HP jets just plain equals "SNAP", "CRAP!!!", "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???"

15. StreetBrawler89

StreetBrawler89 Member

Hey Ive been there!

16. adi tC

adi tC New Member

raw hp ? so like 175 whp after I/H/E ha:lg:, the tC is underpowered, needs adders i.e. Turbo, S/C, NO2

17. StreetBrawler89

StreetBrawler89 Member

I wouldnt say its underpowered for its price range its exactly what they market it as, a car that college students and young adults can afford as a sort of introductory sports car, with the S/C its pushing near 200(not sure the exact number)

18. navylife59

Stock motor with TRD S/C will get you right at 200WHP. It is underrated to keep Officers Jon and Ponce off your back.

19. StreetBrawler89

StreetBrawler89 Member

Thats true, a honda with a folgers coffee can for an exhaust and a park bench drilled in the back draws more attention then turboed tCs from johnny law.

20. Redneck4csa

The only thing I have to say on the nitrous thing is what a wise man once said: Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD's...you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the outcome.