Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

need help with exhaust

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by racer115, Apr 26, 2009.

1. racer115

racer115 New Member

right now my exhaust i cut the muffler off and ran i think 2.5 straight axle back ive been wanting to get headers and prolly an downpipe maybe. if i do those is it going to do anything will it sound diferent any rasp? and if u do that do u have to change the rest like the resinator or anything

2. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

If you cut the muffler off and are running straight pipe now, it is nothing but rasp. Headers will enphasize that. You would not have to change out the resonator.

3. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Also, no muffler = no back pressure = poor performance.

Unless you're turbo'd (yes I know I just learned that about a week ago).

I chopped the muffler off of my 1st car (96 Altima) because I was dumb and 17. Yeah it sounded loud and cool, but the car lost some pep.

4. racer115

racer115 New Member

yea there is no rasp to it at all and is not even loud and has good backpressure so you guys obviously dont know what your talking about

5. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Sorry tough guy

6. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Well, I'm not in the best mood to begin with and I certainly don't appreciate being insulted right now. I'm not going to start a war here. I'm just going to speak my mind.

1. I think you need to clean out your ears. I have heard straight-pipe tC's and they are straight rasp. Maybe you're a Honda guy that is use to putting a coffee-can in the exhaust and thinking that it sounds good. Well, it doesn't.

2. It is loud. Maybe you don't hear it from inside the car, but step outside one time and have somebody rev the motor. You will hear it then.

3. Have you tested the exhaust with a backpressure exhaust kit? I'm interested to see how you know so much about exhausts when you're on this forum asking our opinions.

We try to keep this forum free from all "flaming". But we also do not appreciate someone getting on here, asking questions, and when we give them the answers to the best of our knowledge, they say that we don't know what we're talking about.

7. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Running straight pipe w/o a muffler isn't going to do your tC anygood. You need a muffler to cancel out certain sounds/tones as well as maintaining backpressure. If you want to eliminate rasp, upgrading your OEM resonator to an aftermarket one is the way to go, the longer the resonator the less rasp. A header is going to increase sound, not decrease it. I also wouldn't gut or eliminate the CAT, go w/ a highflow one. Stock CAT's restrict HP/Torque as it is. No CAT's or a muffler you can lose needed backpressure and compression. If your tC was a full blown drag car, then no muffler or CAT would be needed.

8. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Wait! Backpressure is beneficial???? Not according to the experts over at SL and such. :violin: :img21: I find it hilarious that Chris Rado's Time Attack race car has a ScionLife.Com decal on it.:)

9. kangstaxd

kangstaxd New Member

You will highly notice the rasp. In my opinion, go without headers if you don't want to hear rasp.