Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

midpipe question

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by tmr263, Dec 29, 2010.

1. tmr263

tmr263 Member

I ordered a cat-back exhaust for my car and from what I understand it will delete my second cat. Does anyone know if my car will still be legal in VA. I'm pretty sure it will be but just curious. Also would I have a hard time getting a shop to do it since it's deleting a cat, or would I be better of doing it myself? I just don't feel like I have the proper equipment to be that far under my car lol.

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

Most emissions laws require vehicles that came w/ CAT to have one. I believe as long as you have a CAT you'll should be fine. Some places to do a visual inspection and other will probe the exhaust. Your best bet would be to call your local custom exhaust shops and ask them before you pay out for the work to be done. Personally I wouldn't go completely CAT less, you need to maintain proper back pressure. Unless your ride is strictly for racing, then you won't need a CAT, for daily driving I'd keep the CAT, or go w/ a high-flow CAT from Magnaflow or CatCo.

3. tmr263

tmr263 Member

So you think it would be best to keep both cats? So I'd have to get the cat-back system cut and welded correct? hmmm

4. CadenceScion

I'm not sure if you need both CAT's or not, but cutting and welding would be best.

5. tmr263

tmr263 Member

So if I did remove the second one would there be any issues with sensors, and if I decided I wanted headers what issues would I run into with that CAT? Or if I kept the second one would it be possible to replace my headers and delete the first? I'm just curious I probably won't be getting headers soon, I'm afraid that would be too loud, but I am debating on if I want to keep my second one or not.

6. CadenceScion

You should be fine with just one CAT. I know with some headers, you'll lose the main primary CAT, but the secondary is still intact as long as its not removed. Headers usually increase rasp, but that can be delt with by buying/upgrading the resonator to a longer one from either Magnaflow or Moroso. I am not an exhaust expert, but if you'd like you can PM or Email NavyLife, he'll know a lot more than myself.

7. tmr263

tmr263 Member

I see, gives me a lot to think about. Thanks for the quick replies.

8. tmr263

tmr263 Member

Are there actually any headers that don't delete the primary cat? I haven't seen any yet.

9. CadenceScion

I believe a Weapon-R 4-2-1 header doesn't delete your primary CAT.

10. tmr263

tmr263 Member

So far the only one I saw does delete it. Maybe they don't make one for the tC.

11. tmr263

tmr263 Member

Got the Megan Cat-back drift spec installed today. Had the Megan resonator cut off then had it welded to my pipe before the second cat. I like how it sounds with the silencer in, and they finally made the silencer black instead of the ugly silver thing. Sounds good on start up, quiet idle, deep rumble when accelerating and quiet at highway speeds.

12. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

All headers on the market today delete the Primary TWC. Megan and I think it was Alphawerks tried to build one with a cat but those failed. You should run a single high-flow metalized cat in between your s-pipe and mid-pipe. When replacing the OEM header for one w/o the cat, you will need to employ the O2 anti-fouler mod to pull the Bank1Sensor2 narrowband Heated O2 sensor out of the gas flow and prevent a MIL.

13. tmr263

tmr263 Member

Hmmm I see. I'm thinking I'll leave the headers alone unless I ever decide to go the F/I route, in which case I'd probably redo the entire exhaust. I actually really like how it sounds now, nice and deep. But quiet at idle and interstate speeds. I do have one question though, since I decided to weld the 2.5" pipe to the 2.25" before the Cat, if I went to put on a 2.5" S-pipe would I see any gains? Or would it sound like crap with those changes in size? I'm basically trying to keep my car as street legal as possible as the police in VA tend to bend you over when they get the chance.

Next is soldering some blue lights in my dash, a weapon r sri, nst pullies, then HID projectors. I figure I can get away with that since my car is a little newer and i'll keep it white. Doubt cops will notice, just got to worry about halos. I need tax returns to hurry up.

14. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are speaking of the aftermarket projector headlamps w/ halos on the market, forget about it. They eventually burnout, sometimes, within a few months.

You should upgrade your s-pipe. The OEM is very restrictive. It will increase power to the wheels 1 maybe 2 HP. It does, however, compliment other exhaust mods. A must for an aftermarket header. If you are looking for performance then just pony up to the bar and get the Weapon R 4-2-1 header that comes with it's own s-pipe. Sounds and performs better than the 4-1 types on the market.

15. tmr263

tmr263 Member

I didn't know they burned out that quickly. Hmm you never really see a decent projector lamp without the halo's. Perhaps I could upgrade to a later years headlamps? Probably cost more than aftermarket though. And I work at a parts store, lol.

Yeah I really like the weapon r 4-2-1 with the s-pipe. If I do get headers that would be the one for me. I've heard it's not too loud and raspy. I'm definitely getting their sri when I get the chance.

16. CadenceScion

Instead of buying the halo's/projectors, why not upgrade your OEM bulbs to an HID. I have 8000K HID's on my 2006 Scion tC, and I love them.

17. tmr263

tmr263 Member

Yeah I've thought about that too. Ive just always heard putting hid bulbs in the reflective style housing was a no-no lol.

18. CadenceScion

I have never heard of that before, although my HID's on in the OEM headlight housing.