Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Lowering kit questions

Discussion in 'Suspension & Brakes' started by Perplex3d?, May 14, 2006.

1. Perplex3d?

Perplex3d? New Member

i was wondering, would aftermarket lowering kits void the dealer's warrenty, or no, cause i'm trying to decide whether to get the trd lowering kit or a lowering kit from an aftermarket company. :confused:

2. Leon

Leon Member

It doesn't matter if the brand is TRD or other brands. If the dealer believe

that your aftermarket mods is the cause of the damage, perhaps they wouldn't

cover it under the warranty. My last vehichle the shocks & strut broke and

the warranty didn't cover it and it was out of pocket. I don't think you will

have that problem, since it's not common.

3. peruano85

peruano85 Member

before purchasing the suspension i checked with my dealer..they said that if i bought the TRD suspension and have it installed there it would not void my warranty..however, if it was another aftermarket brand they said that it may void it depending on what part of the suspension or drive shafts etc break and are caused due to the suspension..so i figured i would go with a reputable brand and bought a set of tein basic coilovers..i dont have them on yet but they should be here in the next week and i'm going to install them june 4th

4. Leon

Leon Member

my last vehicle I did a 3" drop and after a couple years the shocks and struts

gave up. This time around.. I'll just do a 1" drop, I think the OEM shocks will

be fine.

5. snowwhitetc

snowwhitetc New Member

i was wondering if anybody would know what the popping and sqeaking on the rear of my car from lowing would be i lowered it with tein s tech

6. SweettCHales

SweettCHales New Member

I got the TRD lowering springs from the dealer...i would def go with them if i was you...

7. Madzozs

Madzozs New Member

From what I recall, when I bought my tc with the TRD lowering kit, the salesman said it will not void the warranty if it is installed when I make the initial pick-up of the car. Now he was a salesman so I don't know how true it is, but it made sense to me.

Also, snowwhitetc, I had a similar noise issue with mine. I bought the car in October(in NY it gets chilly), and I noticed some noise from the back end as well. When I test drove it there wasn't any, but after it was lowered and all that I would hear almost a stretching sound while turning semi-fast. I let it go for a bit and it seemed to have worked itself out. Maybe when it gets cold it'll happen again. If so I'll bring it the dealer and have them look at it.

8. JRBRUIN7@aol.com

JRBRUIN7@aol.com Member

Lowering

Just looking for some insight, Can anyone recommend a good set of lowering springs, and another question, Do you have to replace the stock struts if you have after market lowering springs? I also have the TRD lip kit installed on my car, this may or may not have an effect, but thats why I'm looking for some insight.

9. StreetracerJay

StreetracerJay Member

I have the lip kit and the drop. I have eibach sportline kit. I love it 2inch front and 2inch back check out my myspace for more pics. Get eibach or tien.

10. StreetracerJay

StreetracerJay Member

Also no you dont have to change your struts.

11. JRBRUIN7@aol.com

JRBRUIN7@aol.com Member

That looks sweet, how much would you say it is to have springs installed somewhere, thats something I'm not comfortable with and second do you have any problems with speed bumps or going into parking lots with inclines?

12. StreetracerJay

StreetracerJay Member

no it goes over them fine.... I work at a shop so I did them myself... but I will ask tomorrow at work to see how much it is to install.

13. monkeyzz510

monkeyzz510 Member

exactly how much inches does the TRD lowering springs drop
    EXACTLY....

14. keyfur14

keyfur14 New Member

its advertised at 25mm or 0.984251 in which makes me think that its not worth the 200

and is there anything around like 1.5"?

15. JRBRUIN7@aol.com

JRBRUIN7@aol.com Member

Did you ever find out how much it will cost?

16. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

To answer a few questions....
    1. TRD struts and/or springs will not void the warranty, dealer installed or not. It is an authorized Scion part. If you buy a set of spark plugs from the dealer and install them yourself, it would not void the warranty on your car. If that same plug were to crack and cause a misfire/engine damage, it woul dhave to be determined if it was a manufacturers defect or installer error. The oneus is on the dealer to determine this, not to just assume. Same goes for the TRD suspension.

2. Shocks and struts will normally last only 30-40K miles before the ride quality begins to degrade. Shock/struts should be replaced in the 70K range for OEM. Lowering your ride height should not affect the life of the strut/shocks, unless, you are bottoming out or have drastically change the linear geometry of travel.

3. You can get squeeks from replacement springs if you do not mount correctly in the spring perches. You may have also misaligned the geometry. of the upper strut mount. It mounts in a specific orientation. Some springs also come with a rubber slip to prevent noise between the coils under normal loading. A lil white lithium grease can help.

4. The Hotchkis lowering springs drop:

Front 1.7" (43mm) Drop 175 lbs/in (Stock 150 lbs/in)
    Rear 1.97" (50mm) Drop 285 lb/in (245 lbs/in)
    I have them and they work great.

17. navylife59

Running Hotchkis
    Front 1.7" (43mm) Drop 175 lbs/in (Stock 150 lbs/in)
    Rear 1.97" (50mm) Drop 285 lb/in (245 lbs/in)

18. monkeyzz510

monkeyzz510 Member

the hotchkis ride quality is good?
    got a crystal clear pic so i can take a lookie?
    you have no lip kit or body kit right navy?
    and what are your opinion on lip and/or body kits?

19. navylife59

1.Ride quality is great, not too stiff.
    2.I have no lip/body kit. New Orleans has these ridiculous huge curbs on all of the driveways. When I get to Texas, I will be looking to run a wind splitter.
    3.Some are good and some are bad. 95% of them have no aerodynamic value, just xtra weight on the car that creates excessive drag.

20. keyfur14

keyfur14 New Member

ooo you live in new orleans...same here and yeah those curbs scratch my sisters front end everytime :3