Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

is this a good exhaust for my tc

Discussion in 'Engine Performance' started by preston, Feb 18, 2008.

1. preston

preston New Member

N1 Catback Exhaust System

2. preston

preston New Member

N1 Catback Exhaust System

3. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

all depends on the sound you want personally i would go with a greddy or megan drift spec cat back two of my faves have you gone on you tube and listened to exhausts ??

4. pwee08

pwee08 Member

im looking around its really what you like... im into not to loud not to low just right they recommended me MagnaFlow exhaust it sounds good... but yea man just youtube and check out what you like...

5. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Navy, are you currently using a piggy back system?

7. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

I had the header on my all motor set up .. really good i might add :D
    but a header gives more power than a catback .. hmmm
    well wat you can do is search and see if anyone has that exhaust and see what they think

8. RacingDaStreetz

RacingDaStreetz New Member

What is a piggy back system?

9. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

A piggy-back system is a Electronic device which intercepts and redistributes modified messages to and from the Car's ECU.

The most important features to tuning in a piggy-back system is the ability to manually adjust Air/Fuel Ratio's and Timing. Having the ability to modify A/F ratios and Timing enables a tuner to maximize a vehicle's efficiency both power and performance wise.

Alternatives to Piggy Back systems are Stand-Alone systems, which replaces entirely, rather than work with the car's standard ECU.

There are pros and cons to both.

10. RacingDaStreetz

RacingDaStreetz New Member

It seems like the Stand-Alone would cost more since now your replacing both the Standard ECU and this piggy back right? So what are the pros and cons to both, and when should someone start looking to consider either a piggy-back or a stand-alone?

11. navylife59

Yes, I am running a piggyback - Greddy Ultimate tuned by Kenny Tran for 89 Octane 10% ethanol blend for 228.4WHP. I went for a safe street tune.

If you run a stand alone on a late model Scion/Toyo, then you will not be able to replace the ECM together. There are too many modules and systems tied to it like the ABS, SRS, Air Climate, Cluster Gauges, TPWS, MIL, DTC3, charging, etc. If your going to be in full race trim, then you can wire to bypass these systems. The NittotC was originally built with a standalone (AEM I think) that was fully integrated with the ECM. Either way can be done. You just have to plane accordingly.

12. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

My recommendation, following Navy's advice above is to go with a piggy-back for sure.

If you're not looking for a full blown modified tC, the piggy-back essentially will be all you need. Although some piggy back systems vary in function, (e.g. the Apex-I S-AFC only controls A/F ratios while the TXS U-TEC system controls both A/F and timing) the ones designed for the tC specifically should be sufficient for a strong street tune, and a good track tune.

You can have most, not all, piggy-back systems dyno tuned or street tuned, which requires someone with experience (especially with a logger and street tuning) to do it for you.

Like navy said above, if you can wire to bypass most of the tC's standard features (expensive and total PITA IMO) or you can run a piggy-back system that works with the standard ECM.

The greatest advantage the piggy-back has over a stand-alone unit is convenience, that is for sure. You wont top out with some benefits, but those benefits really only matter when you're aiming to achieve some top top performance/numbers.

Hey Navy, does your GReddy Ultimate modify both A/F and Timing? And did Kenny Tran street or dyno tune? Or load a custom map?

Thanks!

13. navylife59

Kenny Tran tuned it himself on Jotech's in-house dyno. He used my laptop to interface with the Greddy directly. He made fuel corrections bringing me from a lean curve to a more appropriate 11.0 at WOT. He advance timing by 1 degree but not much was gained so he left it null. I was only at 9PSI running 89 Octane on 440CC injectors. Once the meth/h20 sprayer is in, 550CC injectors and 14.5PSI, then we are going to start advancing the timing for a more aggressive tune.

14. Vmix06

Vmix06 Member

thats awsome navy can u please give us more updates on ur perfomance tunings on ur car :)

15. navylife59

16. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

200 something posts and im still learning these abbreviations... whats WOT?

17. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

wide open throttle : )

18. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

thanks! i need to start a dictionary for tuner abbreviations!

19. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

hey thats a website that sells parts lol
    heres the section for the tC

tC

20. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

LOL :D not surprised!