Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

intercooler ??

Discussion in 'Engine Performance' started by carboncrazytc, Sep 4, 2007.

1. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

my friend told me i could get about 15 whp from running an intercooler. ive heard from ppl on here they are not effecient with the trd s/c any suggestions.. thanks

2. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

An intercooler on a supercharged tC will lose around 15-20 WHP. The pipining uses about 2 lbs of boost that a supercharger wont make up. So just adding an intercooler without upping the boost on the charger will loose power.

If you want cooler intake temps get a water/meth injection kit. This will greatly increase efficency and allow you to up the boost.

3. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

i am going to do a water/meth injection very soon my 9.5 psi pulley is on its way. thats weird i didnt know an intercooler would hurt the trd s/c. why is that if u dont mind me asking:???

4. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

any intercooler will take air to pressurize it. Its not an issue with a turbo because a turbo will (theoretically) make infinite amounts of boost, if not regulated with a wastegate. Say its regulated to 10psi, the turbo will make boost and continue to and the wastegate will bleed off the extra and maintain 10PSI. Well if something is pulling boost like an intercooler, it is still making more than enough to have 10PSi going to the engine.
    With our supercharger, it is geared with a pulley to make a set amount of boost, 7PSI stock. If you need 2lbs of boost to charge a pipe, the supercharger is still putting out the same given amount of air, so the 2lbs is lost.

5. RutherML07tC

RutherML07tC Member

Thats some good to know information right there for everyone that does not know how the intercooler exactly works. Good post Nick!!

6. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

thanks awnsers my question : )

7. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

If you have any questions about it. Just ask, I did alot of research on it.

8. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

i know i need a piggy back so i can run a cold air so i dont lean out but i was just curious about the hp gains with the supercharger i couldnt imagine i would gain too much from a cai??

9. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Nick06tc is absolutely correct. There are a some water intercoolers like PWR, but they are way expensive. I too am going h2whoa/meth injection. *****Calm down there FBI Super Computer Web Crawler. We ain't talking about shoot'n Meth***** Now that we have calmed down Big Brother, I would suggest the Snow Performance injection system. It is the most affordable and high quality for the money. There is an outfit in the land of ducktape that has a supremely top-notch setup that fully intergrates into their stand alone engine mgmt, but it is supremely priced as well.

Snow has a "Safe Injection" module that can warn if the pump fails or the nozzle gets clogged. At the same time, it can interface w/ engine mgmt computers and pull back timing to prevent detonation, aka time for that Camry V6 swap. They also have a solenoid valve that can cause your BOV/BPV to open and safely bleed your boost off in such an event. I am installing such a setup that will be fed by a 7 quart tank w/ a 2 quart reserve. Once the main tank is empty, the reserve will open automatically and a light in the cockpit will notify me that I need to think about a refill soon. You can never have enough failsafes.
    Blowing Snow - Meth Mockup.JPG

10. carboncrazytc

carboncrazytc Member

sounds like a plan..

11. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

Wow, those are huge tanks.

I had the Spearco kit. Price wasnt to bad, and it had the fail safe, warning light, and prgressive controller. Only thing I didnt like, was it didnt come with a tank, but the windshield washer tank works just fine.

12. navylife59

yeah, I figure 9 quarts ought to keep me going for a while. So, how did you like your kit? What did you do with it?

13. StreetracerJay

StreetracerJay Member

wow I got to get one. Navylife do u have a biger oil cooler on your s/c? I want to get a front mount oil cooler.

14. navylife59

Yeah, I got it off E-Bay. It is the same unit that ZPI Racing sells. It is very high quality and I have been very happy with it. Much cheaper price. I will post the dealer info as soon as I can.