Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

How much horsepower will a tc take?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by moshbmxer06, Nov 25, 2007.

1. moshbmxer06

moshbmxer06 New Member

What is the max pressure and horsepower a stock tc will take reliably? im wanting to turbo or s/c. i would like to shoot for 300 whp for a daily driver

2. bwood87

bwood87 Member

For a daily driver I personally would not go above 9.5 PSI which would yeild approximately 255 BHP and be fairly reliable. You could run 14.5 PSI which would get to about 300 BHP, but that is pushing the engne kinda hard for a daily driver in my opinion. I do not know if it can handle 14.5 PSI stock though.

3. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

Onmost turbo kits available, you can run 10 PSI with no internal modifications and make 300+WHP with no issues.

Max anyone ran extended, was around 16PSI, and when He finally built it, his rods were bent and sleeves scored.

4. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

if you want 300whp, but all you want to do is slap a blower or turbo on and do nothing else, no supporting modds or anything you probably should have started with somthing other than a tC. you gotta pay to play. i mean think about this logically for a second, you want to take a car, boost it so that it produces more than 200% its stock wheel horsepower, and not expect to have to do anything else? ... just my 2 cents

5. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

Actually it can be done and alot of people drive it like this every day!!!

Other than a clutch, you dont have to do anything else.

6. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

its a little hard to believe, not saying your lying just saying i havnt seen it. most turbo kits i have looked at put the otherwise stock tC in the 220-270 whp range, and alot say additional work needed to support the higher numbers. all the tC's i have seen pushing 300+(and i have only seen a few) have had more than just a turbo kit slaped on. and if it were my car i would want to do it right with all the supporting mods. increasing a cars power output by over 100% creates alot of added stress on the whole drive train... and most car manufacturers arent so generouse as to just include components that are so over engineered they dont need replacing at such power levels. but i have only owned a tC for a few weeks, so maybe i just havnt come across these 300whp tC's that are stock other than a turbo kit.

7. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

I think as you do research you will see 300 very to be more common than you think. I dont know what other forums you visit. And not to knock this one, but this is one of the smaller ones. There are Scion forums out there where everyday someone new is boosting their ride. From the 240HP rides to the 500 HP rides, all street car personal owned. ( i can post examples if you wish)

I know of about 7-8 tCs in the virginia area that are pushing the 300WHP envelope DAILY with nothing but a turbo kit, and yes I guess there are supporting mods. You need an exhuast that can flow that.

But I still consider that just slapping a turbo on, because an Exhuast is a given when upgrading to a turbo.

The greddy kit will get you in the 265-275 range, add in an exhuast and you are close to the 300 mark.

Zpi (sucks) stage 1 gets you to 300, easily.
    Dezod S1 with the dezod exhuast hits 300.
    Turbonetics with exhuast hits around 290.
    Turbo toyotas around 275 ish with exhuast.
    And there are more out there.

And everyone aroudn here runs them daily.

8. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

this is the only tC forum i have been to... spend most of my time on saturn forums LOL

ya i saw the dezod kit can get you to 290, but like you said there are other mods needed even if its just an exhaust.

9. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

300WHP is about the limit that you want on a stock 2AZ-FE for a "Regular" daily driver. ....There are a lot of "Daily" drivers that go, what, less than 5 miles a day..... Anything over 250WHP is plenty in a tC, 5-speed. With this amount of power, you should be moving well over 200ftlbs of torque. What you need at this point is to put that power down to the road. Think about stiffer springs, wider rims, sticker tires, limited slip differential, stiffer mounts/engine stabilizer. If not 300WHP will have you handicapped to a 30 roll :(

Ahriman is correct, 300WHP takes more than just a S/C or turbo. It takes supporting mods like larger fuel injectors, exhaust, intake, fuel/ignition control, professional tuning. The S/C alone can't make 300WHP w/o the additional help of some sort of intercooling with a water/meth system being most preferable. Most of all, it is the tuning with a piggyback or a standalone that is going to make your tC outlast those Hondas/Nissans.

BTW.... You came to the right forum:)

10. Nick06tC

Nick06tC Member

I know a supercharger wont. I was talking turbo. A turbo with JUST an exhuast will EASILY hit 300.
    A turbo KIT comes with everything you listed as being needed.

11. moshbmxer06

moshbmxer06 New Member

i guess i should have been more specific when posting my original question haha i just meant what needs to be done internally. I know that exhaust, clutch, ecu and all that stuff is needed for a basic turbo setup. i think i may just go the slow rout and start with exhaust, intake and basic bolt ons, then build up with clutch, lsd and by the time i hit 100k miles go for a rebuild and build up the engine and turbo it at that time. i would rather wait and take it slow and do things right than bolt on a kit and end up blowing my engine. thanks for all the info guys

12. navylife59

Smart move better to not blow up your engine and have to source a new one. Toyota only offers a short block, no crate engines or heads with valve train. You ain't got to wait till 100K to build up your block. The boost bug will eventually bite you :)

13. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

I blew up my motor at 24k miles! 19psi on stock internals wasnt the best idea, but she seemed to like 17psi so much i couldnt stop LOL. melted/cracked piston in cyl 4. warranty was denied of course, it was an expensive lesson to learn LOL. I wont be doing that with the tC.

Attached Files:

14. jphung71

jphung71 New Member

I agree with navy.. anything over 250whp you need to work on keep the wheel on the street. I have a hard time keeping my wheel from not slip in 1st and 2st gear.
    By the way making 300whp mark is not that hard you know. supercharge or turbo will make that mark easy

15. navylife59

YEE OOUTCH!!!!

16. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

ya, thats what my bank account said.

now the motor is running great and the tranny is on its way out... i have been waiting for a reason to upgrade to the LSD trany though, so i havnt exactly been easy on her. :D

the blower is getting pulled and sent to stiegemier next week for port and polish, front drive rebuild, new rotor pack, and black powder coating the housing. I also finally picked up that spacer plate i was talking about before, so when the blower gets back i can hook my meth injection back up and spray after the blower. hopfully after that ill be back on track and well within reach of my 330hp/300tq goal for this car.

17. navylife59

Sounds like a good plan. Vortech wants a bundle to rebuild the S/C offered by TRD. All I need is the compressor housing/ gearbox seals and some new torque shaft end bearings. These guys want tha money cause it is TRD's toy. I found a company that is working to be the remanufacturer/retrofitter for the TRD S/C but they want $100 per hour labor plus hefty on the parts. Besides, I have already altered my compressor housing where Vortech won't even touch it. That is where corporate bureaucracy will get you.

TRD SC Compressor Mod - exterior.JPG

18. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Budget wise, what if you're looking for a 230-240 WHP tops? (Turbo, no S/C)

Not too concerned with power in Auto-X, just quick and strong spool, strong low-end torque and power.

Something along the lines of a 13g turbo.

Advice?

19. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

a nice Tubonetics kit gives u 300 HP
    and about 244 WHP
    do a lil internals and it'll be safe to up the boost
    OR if u can find someone to tune the EMS unichip that it comes with
    i'm sure u can up it a PSI or two on a stock block
    just don't go crazy or u'll hav a nice piston thru ur hood

20. Admir

Admir Member

Max Hp on a Stock 2AZ-FE Engine

I just found out that the max hp that you could put on a stock Scion Tc engine is 380 to the fwhp. Believe it Or Not.... I'm surprised it could hold that much up.