Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

HKS Hi-Power Exhaust question.

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by T0Mlol, Jul 6, 2010.

1. T0Mlol

T0Mlol New Member

So I've had my HKS Hi-Power Exhaust on my 2008 tC for about two years now and while I might add it's a great exhaust, I think I am getting tired of the sound? I mean, I always wanted something loud because I thought the car stock was to quiet but now all of a sudden, I am thinking I want to put my stock exhaust back on so it's quiet again. My question is, if I do this, what are the positives about this?

With the HKS exhaust, obviously it sounds louder while accelerating so it sounds really loud even though I'm only going like 30mph which is ehh cause sometimes I feel like a douche bag when I'm passing someone and my car is loud as hell, haha.

With me taking this off, will I notice any boost of speed or anything? Basically, I am asking if the car seems faster without a exhaust like this. I totally forget what it feels like to drive/hear the car without this on. Will I get better gas milage? Will my acceleration be slightly faster?

Let me know if I am making a big mistake and should just suck it up and keep it on. It is not bothering me that much but the more and more I think about it, I would like to hear it again without it. Is the HKS exhaust one the most popular axelback exhausts for the scion tC?

I am anxious to hear it quiet but I don't wanna make the mistake of taking it off because once I jack my car up and take it off, with how hot it is outside, I probably won't be putting it back on haha.

And I spent a decent amount of money on this thing too which is another reason why I am wondering If I should just keep it on for the hell of it. If I am gonna notice a difference in acceleration, I think I would LOVE that.

2. allenxtc

allenxtc New Member

man,i hv hks hi power too... I got sick of the noise inside of the car too! and plus I got a modified exhaust ticket !!! But I hv header and catless mid pipe, so... yeh, it is even louder! I didnt expect the interior noise will bother me, but it does. Instead of getting a new one, I might try to get a silencer and a high flow cat.. probably next month! man I let let you know how the reduction of noise go! take it easy :)

3. T0Mlol

T0Mlol New Member

Haha yeah, I think that's what is bothering me the most. The INSIDE noise. When we are just sitting there in my car going like 20-30 it sounds like im flooring it and I don't want it to sound like a little ricer car.

4. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Try the silencer insert. If that is not enough, find a competent exhaust shop to add a glasspack resonator for a really mellow sound. You might not find a straight-thru resonator will cancel the right frequencies for you.

You can sound deaden your car in the back to absorb those frequencies that bother you most. It does not take that expensive stuff at the stereo shops. Most can be had at Wally-Mart and hardware stores.

5. allenxtc

allenxtc New Member

Navy, I believed u heard of the vibrant ultra quiet resonator. As it's named ultra quiet, do you think it will work and quiet down the loudness? Btw, I m planning to go turbo or S/C next year, if i ditched the HKS and get a TRD exhaust, which one do u think will work better. I used to have a megan, but unfortunately problem came out, so i got the HKS. But its too loud, and I felt that I lose the low end torque and power like below 60mph. Will HKS be the same after I boost my tc? I dun wanna make any wrong decision again. So yeh, your advice is appreciated! Thx