Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

Headers

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by douglas07, Aug 9, 2009.

1. douglas07

douglas07 New Member

i got an 07 daily driver and i am looking for some good performance headers any suggestions.

2. Layon07

Layon07 Member

megen, strup, there all 4-1 but if you want the best bang for your bucks weapon-r headers 4-2-1 but there about close to 1k... i myself am rockin strup stainless steal headers.

3. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to find the WR 4-2-1 headers for way less than $1k. This is the best overall setup and when you factor in that it comes with an S-pipe (Stock s-pipe is most restrictive), it is a great deal. Stay away from Megan as they are pure crap. Note: Running a 4-1 header will net you rasp with the majority of axle-backs.

4. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

Navy, you always told me that any header, regardless of make, would create rasp without the proper resonators....

5. navylife59

Tis true. Removing the primary cat reduces back pressure drastically hence the HP increase. The increase flow overrides the ability of the OEM resonator making the free-er flowing axle-back sound like a fart can. A 4-2-1 syncronizes pulses from opposite firing cylinders to promote exhaust scavaging. This also has a slight resonance dampening effect that can help reduce the amount of fart can noise that you get, albeit, will still give you that fart can sound. Instead of the Big Momma sound you will get the Queen Latifah blow.

6. Saro tC

Saro tC New Member

weapon R headers + s pipe+ HKS axle back = fart can???

7. navylife59

Not a total fart can but will be at the times that I stated in my PM.

8. BOSS916

BOSS916 New Member

good s-pipe to buy

so i have a megan racing header and srs exhaust and i was wondering whats a good s-pipe to buy. not cheap but not too expensive.

9. navylife59

Invidia has the better piece out there on the market.

I have an idea for a much better header and a theory on a new type exhaust. Working out trying to get the product (titanium) to build a prototype for testing. If it ever comes to market, it won't be cheap to produce though as it will require a new transverse motor mount.

10. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

11. Redneck4csa

Hmmm...I wonder how they can do that.

12. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Pssh. I don't care if they stole that sh!t and are just sellin 'em hot! I'll take them of their hands for that cheap.

13. Redneck4csa

I'll be expecting a post when you get them installed then...

14. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

My friend is suggesting that I go with the header/s-pipe as my next engine mod as this will free up the rest of the tC's breathing. He suggested cams next.

I want to add the headers for sure, but am a little skeptical as to how much I will actually notice, and if my car with i/h/e would really be that much better off than a stock tC.

15. navylife59

Why, yes it will. I have seen tC's with just I/H/E eat stock 350Zs, Honda Civic Si, and a Dodge Charger R/T off the line. My Son said that with just a TRD axle-back and an Injen SRI made a big enough difference to beat most of the cars that tried to race him (some previously beat him and claimed he was using NOS). Now, it is not going to be a huge difference, but it will be noticible.

16. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Navy. I have nothin but love for you. And I never run out of good things to say about my car. But a stock tC with i/h/e killin a 350z? That's like eating a pinecone... hard to swallow.

Video?

17. RobRS2

RobRS2 New Member

im in the market for a header as well, and im aiming for the weapon-r, but i dont like the price tag, however. but i do know that there is also the tsudo, which physically and as far as i can tell has the same exact design, is there any major differences or cons to going the cheaper route and getting the tsudo beside the fact that it doesnt have the weapon-r badge?

18. navylife59

It was an older Z. Specs for a similar 2005 model below.
    2005 Nissan 350Z Performance

- 3,498 cc 3.5 liters V 6 front engine with 95.5 mm bore, 81.4 mm stroke, 10.3 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder VQ35DE
    - Premium unleaded fuel 91
    - Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 26 and EPA city (mpg): 20
    - Multi-point injection fuel system
    - 20.1 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
    - Power: 214 kW , 287 HP SAE @ 6,200 rpm; 274 ft lb , 371 Nm @ 4,800 rpm
    - Weights: curb weight (lbs) 3,212
    - Coefficient of drag: 0.30

Compare to the 2005 Scion tC specs:

2005 Scion TC Performance

- 2,362 cc 2.4 liters in-line 4 front engine with 88.5 mm bore, 96 mm stroke, 9.6 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2AZ-FE
    - Unleaded fuel 87
    - Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 30 and EPA city (mpg): 23
    - Multi-point injection fuel system
    - 14.5 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
    - Power: 119 kW , 160 HP SAE @ 5,700 rpm; 163 ft lb , 221 Nm @ 4,000 rpm
    - Weights: curb weight (lbs) 2,905 MT 2,970 AT
    - Coefficient of drag: 0.32

So let's look at the numbers.
    1. Curb weight of the manual trans tC (which these cars were) is a few hundred pounds less.
    2. 350Z carries about 6 gallons more fuel. If both cars were to be full tanks, the Z is carrying 6 gallons more which adds to the weight of the car.
    3. Coefficient of drag is very close so wind resistance should be equal. The street racing was at low speeds so this should not have been much of a factor anyway.
    4. When figuring out frictional drivetrain losses of the RWD Z and comparing that to the FWD tC, there is only about 100 HP difference in the stock forms of both cars. The tC's in the race had I/H/E so there WHP numbers should knock about 20~30WHP and lower the difference to about 70~80WHP difference.
    5. The tC makes max SAE BHP at 5700RPM vices the Z at 6200RPM. That means the Z makes less power at 5700RPM compared to the tC. This means the Z has to stay in gear longer to take advantage of it's full SAE BHP rating. This could be a detriment when comparing gear ratios.
    6. Don't have the gear ratios for the Z or if it was AT or MT but the torquiness of the tC and the low 1st and 2nd gear ratios give the tC the edge in most races at low speeds.
    7. Driver skill

So this my video.

19. punk2m1d

punk2m1d Member

Touche, Navy. Touche.

20. navylife59

Thanks. I may shoot from the hip sometimes, but my 6-shooter is always loaded with the facts. OK. OK. So there is one round of BS in there. I am a Texan ya know.