Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

HArd time Learning manual

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by turboprfrmance86, Mar 24, 2008.

1. turboprfrmance86

turboprfrmance86 New Member

I just bought my 06 tc today and i got the 5 speed manual. I had my friend drive home for me so i can learn to drive it because ive never really driven a manual trans before. the car has 48000 miles on it, do you guys think the tc is a good car to learn on, im not to bad just really problems on hills, do you think the clutch is good for withstanding a new manual trans driver?. thank you i kno this is long sorry, also how long does it usually take people to be comfortable driving a manual transmission.

2. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

congrats on getting the tC and welcome to the site!!!

as for learning stick, it's all in the feel. so the more you do it, the more you'll get comfortable.

the way i teach people new to stick is to start exclusively on flat roads. slowly let your foot off the clutch in 1st gear until the car starts rolling. then gently give it gas. do this many times until you get comfortable with the point at which the car starts to move. then, you can work on easing off the clutch and on the gas simultaneously. the simultaneous method is needed for hills.

as for the rest of the gears, it's on clutch, shift, easy onto the gas.

dont be afraid to stall!

again, the more you do it, the more comfortable you'll get!

if you still need help let us know! good luck!

3. turboprfrmance86

thanks alot for welcoming me and thank you for the information, im really happy about the car, its really nice especially now that i own one and get to drive it, very nice looking car. i hope i figure out driving manual fast, its gonna suck driving to work tomaro.

4. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

no problem! just take your time... expect to stall, shake, grind the gears, get frustrated, curse, punch the steering wheel... all normal reactions while learning stick. very few get it in a few tries.

it's a new motor pattern for your brain to figure out. give it time. like walking, riding a bike, throwing and catching, etc...

5. Soulbane

Soulbane Member

Dont stress out when learning. It's not just you that stalls, rocks, bumps and shakes the car. We all go through it while learning stick.

When you get time to practice, just keep practicing 1st gear over and over again. Once you nail first gear, the others come naturally.

As for hills, the best way is to put your gear in 1st, hold up the E-brake so you don't roll backwards, then engage the clutch. Once you can feel your car moving forward, release the ebrake and continue driving forward.

Good luck

6. JRBRUIN7@aol.com

JRBRUIN7@aol.com Member

The tC was my first manual as well, it was very frusturating, me personally it took a few months for it to just come naturally and not have to think about it, the more you drive the better you will get at it just takes practice, I'm still not perfect at it but if I look at myself last year which is when I got the car I am laughing at myself, like they say practice makes perfect!

7. Figaro

Figaro New Member

I just got my TC back in September and it's my first stick too. I wasn't feeling so hot my first month or so but it passed and now I'm wondering how I've lived so long without a stick shift. Like everyone else said stalling, shaking, and grinding will happen....a lot, but don't let it get to you because it has happened to the best of us. Just grin and bare it, it's worth it.

8. TyC08

TyC08 New Member

Learning it with just yourself in the car will help a lot. I found learning with someone trying to teach you gets frustrating on the passenger ultimately discouraging the driver. The tC had me frustrated because the clutch disengages a lot sooner than my previous car. When in first gear at a stop you can tell when the clutch disengages when the rpms start to drop from the idle. You will kill it in traffic and shake here and there but like everyone else says practice makes perfect.

9. turboprfrmance86

well thank everyone youve all been awsome. i havnt been doing to bad im surprised, ive only stalled once. and im still adjusting to starting out but im sorta getting used to where to start pushing on the gas and letting go of the clutch but its not too hard, once again thanx everyone.

10. TBITB

TBITB Active Member

ur lucky! when my older brother first learned stick, we were jerkin and shakin and stallin up and down the road for about an hour - in an old subie wagon! it was horrible! but to stall once your first time out is impressive!

dont get cocky tho! it's kinda embarrassing to stall at a light and you're first in line!

11. ac3 b00gi3

ac3 b00gi3 Active Member

dnt thank everyone before me :)
    manual is fun .. it took me about a week and a half to get the FULL grasp on it
    on hills i wud rev the engine up to about 1500 RPM then slowly get off of the clutch .. after doin that a few million times i got it :D
    CONGRATS AGAIN !!

12. illest_tC

illest_tC Member

its funny how you ask if its a good car to learn on AFTER you bought it. but i basically learned on mine. before i bought it i drove my friends parents car a couple times. the only way to learn is just to go out and drive. i feel i was pretty good after like 2 weeks. youll learn. just go drive.