Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

does the unichip do anything noticeable?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Dyno Results' started by andydonahue12, Jul 26, 2011.

1. andydonahue12

andydonahue12 New Member

i have an injen CAI and tanabe concept g axle back and i was wondering if i get the uni chip does it help the performance of the cold air intake and exhaust?

2. CadenceScion

CadenceScion Moderator Staff Member

The UniChip isn't going to net you any serious gains, plus for what your going to pay for it, its not worth it. Our engine's run very sufficiently on their own w/o the use a chip and their tuned accordingly right from the factory. The only thing that is worth the buy is a TRD Supercharger and having the ECU re-flashed at the dealer.

3. andydonahue12

andydonahue12 New Member

Ok yeah I'd rather put the 500 bucks towards something else thats going to get me a bigger gain then. Thanks for the tip! I also have a question thats not related to this topic, but is getting headers worth it or not? I'm trying to learn about all of this so I dont end up wasting my money on something thats not going to get me anywhere.

4. CadenceScion

Headers are worth it as far as I am concerned. You'll be allowing the exhaust to flow more freely and allow the engine to breathe better as well. I have the DC Sport 4-1 header on my tC and I noticed better performance and better flow.

5. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget the ceramic Jet Hot.

6. CadenceScion

^ Yes, This! Give Jet-Hot a call and have your header jet-coated. I had mine done by them and it looks amazing, well worth the money and a full lifetime warranty.

7. andydonahue12

andydonahue12 New Member

The weapon R headers that I would like to get say not to do a ceramic coating because it can cause the pipes to warp.

8. CadenceScion

Jet-Hot doesn't ceramic coat the header, its different process that is better and lasts longer than ceramic.

9. Oregon

Oregon New Member

I have the Weapon-R headers and they are a lot of fun. Make sure you get the S-pipe included with them because the Weapon-Rs are a true 4-2-1, which means they are longer. Other S-pipes will not fit. Also, YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR RADIATOR to install these SOBs.

10. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

sorry, I know we are on headers here but, back to the TRD Supercharger. I read somewhere that they have a nasty reputation of blowing up engines due to a part failing or something. Is that true or are they pretty well bulletproof as long as you stay within the factory settings and don't get too crazy with pulley size.
    I considered getting one once but then backed off after I heard that. Has that ever happened to anyone here?

11. RS1Tc

RS1Tc New Member

Go turbo Superchargers are garbage. And no parts are very difficult to find since its long been discontinued.

12. navylife59

Well, that all depends on what slug you throw on there. Not all turbos, nor kits, are reliable and safe to run on your car.

Back to the original question, no the TRD S/C will not explode launching a pound of metal down your intake. The reliability issues have solely by upon the head of TRD and their makeshift parts. The S/C is debadged Vortech unit. The TRD pulley side torque shaft bearings go out in about a year or two if you boost over the stock 7PSI. The idler bearings go tits up just whenever they decide to no matter what pulley that you are running. When I elected to rebuild my S/C to beef it up, I found all of those bearings bad. The S/C itself was fine but I was looking to make it more efficient when I jumped to 15PSI. I have had no issue save two issues in the past 3-4 years since I have done this rebuild.
    1. The gear box output shaft oil seal began to leak on me in Texas during 107F+ heat spell 2 years ago. It was the original seal that I did not replace.
    2. Belt slippage with the small diameter of the 15PSI pulley. I resolved this by removing one of the TRD idler pulleys and getting the right size Goodyear Gatorback belt. With the 2 pulleys, the belt that I had to use was too tight. It was so tight that the automatic adjuster pulley on the motor had it's spring bottomed out. It did not allow any movement so it was not able to absorb any of the energy from belt flutter as the belt was too tight. Without any give, the belt remained too rigid and slipped easily under heavy load at WOT. The removal of the 2nd TRD pulley gave me a better belt size selection to pick one that was tight enough but allowed the adjuster pulley's spring to load and unload properly. Slipping is either all together removed or not perceptible to show up.

With all of that said, RS1Tc is very correct about finding parts. The TRD S/C was stopped being shipped to Dealers in 2009 and they were ordered to take remaining inventory and have them destroyed. This was to support the release of the Gen2 tC. There was supposed to be a certain amount of kits left to remain in the parts chain for warranty repairs. Not sure if Vortech will touch the charger itself yet.

13. RS1Tc

RS1Tc New Member

I mean in the sense now lets just say you do track a "brand new kit" for what you'll pay for that or even for a used one(bound to be missing parts) its cheaper to go turbo. The power gains are greater with a basic turbo kit. They're much more upgradable. But with parts not even being traceable, turbo its a smarter choice in the long run.

14. navylife59

Well, it is now but the only prince comparable option was the basic GReddy Stage 0 turbo kit. Around $100 put the TRD S/C in the 220-230WHP range up from the standard 7PSI 200WHP. All this w/o the need for a piggyback so this made the TRD S/C the far better economical choice at the time. It also came w/ a 12-month warranty for self install and the remainder of the powertrain warranty for Dealership installed. To increase a basic turbo kit's output required more parts like an intercooler, injectors, and piggyback. Don't forget the tuning costs. In today's terms, you are absolutely correct as turbo kits have gotten better and priced lower. I had bought my TRD kito in 2005 when turbo kits were still new, had problems, only a few options, little competition, and high costs.