Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

AutoX & Road Racing Event Thread 2009, NY Tristate Area **Will update as needed**

Discussion in 'Autocrossing and Road Racing' started by Xero187, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Xero187

Xero187 Member

Online registration is now open for NYR-SCCA's 5/31 Solo season
    opener at Nassau Coliseum, at the following link:

http://www.axwaresystems.com/axorm/calendar_main.php?selectclubid=19

AutoX season is now well underway! It's been tough at times to get out, but so far I've made 4 events. May 9th is the first time the tC has worn slicks. Hella fun! To top that off I had the fortunate opportunity to break them in on the E-Town road course!!!

May 23rd I had the chance to try out the slicks on a much slower and more technical course at Nassau Coliseum. After a few runs I started to warm up to the slower course and really wound up enjoying it taking home 3rd place in Street Mod R-Comp. (Pics/vidz down several posts!)

The purpose of this thread is to post up AutoX and some Road Racing days that are hosted on Long Island and the near Tri-State area. I personally will try to attend as many as possible, however I'll try and update this thread with all of the available events.

I had the opportunity last year to make it to several AutoX events with each time being a complete blast. Fun racing, cool cars, and cool people. Most of the people you'll meet there are real cool, friendly people that are willing to teach others and at times, turn a wrench!

I was also able to attend one School/Open Track Road Course day which was phenomenal!

Come join us and test/improve your skills! Put those mods to work! For those of you stock, have no fear, many AutoX'd cars are. There are many different classes to keep the competition even.

In the end... it's the driver, not the car!
    **************************************************************************************
    Here is a link to AutoXware for preregistration. All events are not posted yet, however it is a very useful calender to check when an AutoX event will be in your area.
    AXWare Online Race Module
    ***************************************************************************************

2009 New York Region, SCCA Solo Schedule Nassau Coliseum Lot 8
    Sunday, May 31 - Points Event #1
    Register online at on Axware!
    ~$40 entry fee members $55 non-members

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
    Uniondale, NY 11553
    Lot 8

NNJR Solo II Points event #6 Saturday June 6th 2009 @ Raceway Park Englishtown, NJ Registration on site opens @ 8:15am (Tech starts shortly after)
    $35 for SCCA Members
    $45 for Non-members

Raceway Park
    230 Pension Road
    Englishtown, NJ 07726

Here are some videos from the 14th and 28th of March. The tC needs fenders rolled and wheels mounted and balanced so I took an STi out. Bluesciontc took out his Turbo'd beast and had much success after joining club 255 running NT-01's. Both of us took home 2nd place in our respective classes AS & SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fLxT7HyC7k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-90YoJS8w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhjxlzHr1k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIa5dA4AKo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjiBUCX3So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mnltckHLKE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxlfAiRNEGo

Below are some shots of the Turbo tC running 255's!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below are a few AutoX shots from last season
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING DATES ARE ON SATURDAY @ Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ
    May 23 -Points
    June 6 -Points
    July 11 -Points
    July 25 -Points Road Course TBD
    August 1-Corvette Day - Volunteers will receive a free NNJR AutoX - 1/8th mile lot
    August 8 -Points
    August 15-Honda Day - Volunteers will receive a free NNJR AutoX
    August 22 -Points Road Course TBD
    August 29 -Points
    October 10 -Points
    October 24 -Points
    November 7 -Non-Points - Weather Permitting
    November 14 -Non-Points - Weather Permitting

BMWCCA AutoX Event Schedule @ Nassau Coliseum have been released & posted below

May 23rd Saturday
    July 25th Saturday - Street Survival (Tentative)
    August 1st Saturday
    August 22nd Saturday
    August 30th Sunday
    September 20th Sunday
    October 11th Sunday
    October 31st Saturday

2009 New York Region, SCCA Solo Schedule Nassau Coliseum Lot 8

Sunday, May 31 - Points Event #1 (chair: Arthur & Jennifer Emerson)
    Saturday, July 11 - Points Event #2 (chair: Alan Cruz)
    Saturday, August 8 - Points Event #3 (chair: Jon Cohen)
    Sunday, August 23 - Points Event #4 (chair: Bryan Jeisa)
    Saturday, September 12 - Points Event #5 (chair: TBA)
    Sunday, September 27 - Points Event #6 (chair: Zohab Alvi)

2. Xero187

Xero187 Member

I will be attending this Sunday's Road Course School Event. For anyone interested late registration may be possible by contacting Chris Winter today.

Road Racing dates @ E-Town

Schedule:
    Road Course School 9am-5pm
    Novice and Intermediate Open Track Day 11am-5pm

Dates:
    August 9th 2009

Please contact Chris Winter for weekend availability or any other questions at 732-553-9050 or via email at etownroadcourse@aol.com

The E-Town Road Course is the only one I've been fortunate to spend some time on. During an 8 hour day everyone put on around 120 miles!

Straight off the Raceway park Website:
    The road course is 1.35 miles, and a minimum of 40' wide, save for the 1,400 ft straightaway which measures 50' wide. Some highlights of the track include a 90 degree right turn, a 16 degree banked left turn, and a mini corkscrew.

Some shots from last year:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old crappy aerial shot of the E-Town raceway (their website sux)
    [​IMG]

A little video a friend put together last year at the course:
    LISF E-Town Road Course

Lime Rock, CT is another place I'd love to track. Perhaps April 20th with the SCDA

Really clean professional course, definitely pricey though. $345 for a day

[​IMG]

I went last year to an 8 hour class/open track day at E-Town. It was $240 if I remember correctly and it was all day. After attending this "class," I was told open track days would be ~ $120 (very cheap for a road course). Before lunch was instruction including "follow the leader" exercises. After lunch was pretty much open track with passing allowed on the 2 straightaways. You'll probably track over 100 miles.

Several experienced instructors were there to teach you in and out of your car. They gave me some great tips. You can even have them thrash your whip around a lap or two just to see how a pro does it. Most people there if not all had no prior experience (a lot had AutoX'd). It was really cool being in the mix with various other automobiles. Getting to pass on occasion was fun.

The thrill level is not only higher with running a road course, but it can actually be quite tranquil. Smoothness = Speed

Chris Winter runs the course over at E-Town. Chris' number is 732-446-7800 or he does respond to emails at etownroadcourse@aol.com

He can answer all of your questions/concerns.

3. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

It totally blows that we don't have anything like this in the Ark-LA-Tex region.

4. Xero187

Xero187 Member

Really? There's nothing out there?

5. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

There are a few 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks but beyond dirt tracks. The Texas Motor Speedway is the only one with a road coarse and it is rarely used.

6. Xero187

Xero187 Member

Main Post has been updated, including current video from SCCA AutoX and BMWCCA AutoX Schedule@ Nassau Coliseum has now been posted.

Videos include my STi (my tC will be running most of the remander of the season) and Bluesciontc's Turbo'd beast sporting 255 wide R-Comp tires with just some mild fender rolling in the rear and some increased negative camber in the front.

7. CiscoInATc

CiscoInATc Member

Sounds Great. Could you recommend anywhere i could take my car to have some work done on it, i live in Manhattan its been a pain locating a decent place.

8. Xero187

Xero187 Member

The BEST reference I can give you is "bluesciontc" on Your Scion tC .com - Online community and forums for Scion tC owners and enthusiasts

He is a good friend of mine whose knowledge of the tC and the 2AZ-FE are second to none. The blue tC you see in the vidz is built by himself and is an absolute beast.

Bluesciontc's Credentials / Abilities:

1) 400whp (soon to be 450~500whp) built Scion tC ( AutoX and Road Raced) with more mods that would be able to fit in this thread

2) Brought my own knowledge up to spec to do 95% of all the work on my own turbo tC (which does AutoX and Road Race)

3) Next week he will be putting the finishing touches on a custom set up Turbo Scion xB 2nd Gen

4) Soon to be ASE certified (all though its primarily a formality as the school can be a joke; IE: total tool bags can receive certification easily)

5) Former Crew Chief on General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon in the USAF Honorable Discharge

6) He's a F'n turbo/car NUT... He breathes this ****!

7) Not in business to rip people off, very reasonable on labor/install rates

8) If he needs help/shop assistance he will let you know and refer you to the best shop he knows (ie: your car isn't going to be halfway done and left rotting)

9) Can come to you depending on where you live

If you PM me I can give you his contact information.

9. justplayxtragic

justplayxtragic Member

Oh man. This is pretty awesome. I'm going to my first Auto X on Saturday actually. I live in the DC area and we're going out to Summit Point, WV, which is like an hour and a half away but I think driving up to NYC area would be pretty sweet too. This seriously is awesome. As soon as I get videos and pictures, I will post them. Does this club do Time Attack stuff too?

10. Xero187

Xero187 Member

A few shots from AutoX on the Road Course @ E-Town May 9th 2009

Everyone that came out had a phenomenal time. Ridiculous turn out, 150/150 driver spots were filled all preregistered by 3 days before! It was amazing we all got 5 runs on this super long fast course. The hosts really kept it moving well and 100% safe.

No one wacked a wall! Yay! (not that that is a normal occurrence...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a forza/GT cam shot of how much fun a boosted tC on slicks can be =)

Turbo Scion tC 300whp on 255/40R17 NT-01's Enkei RP-F1 AutoX @ E-Town Road Course

This was my fastest run, run 5 of 5.

I found a few professional shots taken by Ciotti Industries of me and bluesciontc. Definitely better than the ones I take!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stupid fun... Stupid. Such a great experience doing AutoX on the Road Course.

I never want to go back to a parking lot again! (but I will...) Truly spoiled now!

I also never want to run on anything less stickie than my R-Comps. Nitto NT-01 255/40R17 FTW!

11. Xero187

Xero187 Member

12. Xero187

Xero187 Member

Last minute Road Course School added for this Sunday (tomorrow!). I will be there with a couple of buddies!

Contact Chris winters for the possible of late registration. (see second post for details)

13. Xero187

Xero187 Member

14. Xero187

Xero187 Member

A spectacular day of AutoX at Nassau Coliseum. We got an amazing 10 runs in!

As far as the coliseum goes it was a pretty fast course with a spot for third gear on the backstretch!

Here's my 9th run with a personal best of 54.8 landing 14th out of 71 drivers (raw times).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBdh7q7pHQ

15. Xero187

Xero187 Member

run 6 of 9, my best of the day
    YouTube - Turbo Scion tC AutoX Sept 26th 2009 PCA NY

8/51 raw times

3/13 class

I really have to take some more pics with my camera rather than my cell phone.

Here's a couple pics of the line up at the Sept 26th PCA NY.
    The course was wack, but the event ran smooth. I'm really looking forward to checking out Tobay!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Redneck4csa

Redneck4csa Premium Member

I'd like to see some more pics of your tC in action. How are you liking the STi?

17. Xero187

Xero187 Member

I really need to start bringing more peeps with me and having them shoot some pix. It'd be nice to get some HD video with a real camcorder from outside the car.

The STi is great! Awesome all around automobile. With out it I would not be looking forward to the winter as much. I haven't decided what winter tires to use but there is some time left until the weather gets bad.

I'd love to start modding the STi, but that is very low on my priority list to tell you the truth.

Oh and yes.... the tC is still faster and more maneuverable by a large margin.

18. Redneck4csa

Glad to see you like it. I heard the other site has changed alot since my last visit. Alot of people tend to go with Blizzak's in the winter time. Ideally, they are what I would place on my car if the money was there to do it.

And the tC handles better because the GD series is better than the GR series :p

19. Xero187

Xero187 Member

Now whether the GD is "better" than the GR that is almost down to a matter of personal preference.

Here's a little excerpt from the edmunds test:

"...despite sitting on the same 103.3-inch wheelbase as the new WRX sedan, the five-door's overall length is 6.5 inches less, representing a substantial reduction in polar moment of inertia, which is a big chunk of the "better handling" part of Solberg's argument.

Since the STI exists to homologate the car used in FIA WRC and Group N rally competition next season, that's why we've got an STI wagon, er, hatchback today.

Besides, in STI garb, the five-door Impreza body actually looks mean. Substantially wider fenders are rendered in steel on a unique unibody and complement a track that's wider than that of the WRX by 1.3 inches in front and an amazing 2.5 inches in the rear. Last year's STI was some 1.5 inches slimmer."

From what I've read performance~wise (not style, that's a matter of one's opinion) the GR is an improvement over the GD :p

tC : GR/GD apples to oranges. My tC beats the STi b/c the tC is modded hell and on R-Comps! Don't get me wrong the STi is wicked. To really have fun I need to fix the plowing tendency that comes with the factory camber setting of -0.1 degrees!

20. Redneck4csa

LOL. You know I'm just messing with you. I'm just alittle jealous because I want an 06 STi.