Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

2006 Supercharged tC

Discussion in 'Tuning and Dyno Results' started by SoccerBoy_AP, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SoccerBoy_AP

SoccerBoy_AP New Member

[​IMG]

Here is my 2006 Scion tC.
    Running the 2nd Generation supercharger on the NonStopTuning 65mm pulley, with a Forge Splitter valve set for BPV mode plus some other work...
    207hp/188tq, pushing 7.7psi.....That's at 5280ft too!

2. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Not too shabby. The NST 65mm pulley is supposed to be 9.5PSI. Is the difference in PSI from your altitude? I guess I could use my fizzy math skills to figure it out. Tell us about your other mods. Any picts?

3. SoccerBoy_AP

SoccerBoy_AP New Member

With the stock pulley, my boost gauge would barely hit 6psi, after the NST upgrade the dyno showed a maximum of 7.7psi.

So far the mods are:
    supercharger w/ 65mm pulley
    Forge BPV (Splitter mode)
    ZPI lightweight crank pulley
    cold air intake w/ K&N filter (modified for s/c)
    Full exhaust rebuild: alphawerks header with jet-hot, invidia downpipe, high-flow cat, 2-8" resonators, dual magnaflow mufflers.

No engine management yet... probably AEM FIC soon. Looking to put in a W/A intercooler then start bumping up the PSI with the 12psi pulley from NST... maybe even the 15psi pulley. But I need to overhaul the S/C: I have a new drive shaft, need to get the thicker seals, better bearings etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. infinite

infinite New Member

an aem unit will do some good there. nice #'s

5. navylife59

At your altitude, you should easily get away with no water-air intercooler. I would suggest a water/meth setup or none at all. You are already loosing PSI potential per pulley size due to your altitude. I have successfully proven that the ECM with only the TRD mappings can correctly and safely handle 15PSI and 550cc injectors with no intercooling method in temps from 40F - 107F. Power was commensurate to temps so the colder the IAT, the more power that was on tap. Also, this was all done at near sea-level so the thinner air at Colorado altitudes may too much for the ECM to compensate to make max power for you. You could trick the MAF signal but that would be a lot of trial and error.

You stated that you have a new shaft. Can you explain further please?

6. SoccerBoy_AP

SoccerBoy_AP New Member

Gompka from Scionlife.com has had some replacement drive shafts made in cooperation with Boeing. For more info you can check out what he has on them... Custom Supercharger Shafts ! - Scionlife.com

I have yet to replace it, however I have heard nothing but praises from the guys who have, cuts down on a lot of the unneccesary hums that are generated and is completely built for super high rotational speeds like those acheived at 15psi.

7. xxtc-06xx

xxtc-06xx New Member

how much horsepower is a 9.5 pulley suppose to make?

8. SoccerBoy_AP

SoccerBoy_AP New Member

Without a tune - 20-25hp
    With a tune - 25 to 30hp
    (Best Guesses)

9. xxtc-06xx

xxtc-06xx New Member

oh bc i have the 9.5 and im making like 250 to the wheel..

10. SoccerBoy_AP

SoccerBoy_AP New Member

What else do you have for mods?

I'm making 207hp @ 7.7psi at best but I'm also at an elevation deficit.

11. navylife59

I made 228.4WHP on a 9PSI pulley (datalog showed 9.5PSI at redline). 440cc injectors
    I made 217WHP on a 14.5PSI pulley (datalog showed 15.0PSI at redline) w/ Greddy Ultimate tuning. 550cc injectors
    hunting idle and poor throttle response.
    I made 214WHP on a 14.5PSI pulley with just the ECM. 550cc injectors
    near stock idle and throttle response with still some minor influxes.

I have a detune issue with the ECM which I believe maybe centered around my custom intake giving the MAF bad readings.

12. xxtc-06xx

xxtc-06xx New Member

Headers, intake, 440cc, full pipings, stuff like that.

13. cmcpride

cmcpride New Member

is that a bov navylife59? i made 375hp and about 360tq with my SC set up at 12psi. so yes some things wrong on your set up

14. cmcpride

cmcpride New Member

try using a map sensor that will eliminate your any concerns you may have with your maf.

15. navylife59

You made that much power with the TRD S/C at 12 PSI? What else were you running like shooting the juice, stand alone management, built-up motor? Most I have ever heard was 320WHP at 14PSI with custom cams, headwork, air-water intercooler, stand alone e-manage, etc. So what's the secret to the sauce here that I am missing? What e-manage did you use to convert over to speed density (MAP)?

That is a GReddy Type RS BOV that is setup to recirc. The picture was an intake setup that I was trying out. It flowed way too much grams/sec skewing the MAF voltage out of range of the target parameters of the TRD maps. I had to throw the air tuba back on to get back into range. Looking to use the Abaco Performance MAF that let's you recalculate the voltage to provide better info to the ECM.

16. cmcpride

cmcpride New Member

Im running liquid intercooler, port and polish head, stage ll cams, 9:5:1 pistons, cold air intake,emanage ult, 12psi pulley, I was running meth before but removed, 550 injectors,

17. navylife59

So you had to drop the MAF and tune speed density via MAP? Did this allow the ignition tables to be altered to any effect? No matter what was done, we could not alter the spark timing whatsoever. I would appreciate any info. I have a fully built Jotech Godzilla motor built and waiting that is CNC port-n-polish, BC 1mm oversized valves, BC valvetrain, Arias pistons, BC Stage II cams, Darton sleeved, o-ringed deck, and a final compression around 10.0:1. Planning on h2o/meth and 15PSI.

18. cmcpride

cmcpride New Member

No I'm still using maf , I just mad that comment in regards to your maf problems. What managment are you using

19. navylife59

I was one of the first to adopt the GReddy Ultimate when it first came out. My original tune on @9.5PSI with only a header and TRD axle-back made 228.4 WHP. Both Kenny Tran and I could not coax the ECM to let us change the ignition timing at all. I checked my wiring, the jumpers, and the schematics so many times that I thought I designed the darn thing. There was some headaches in the beginning as GReddy had posted and printed in the install manual the ECM wiring pin-outs from the 2007-up tC but posted them as for the 2005-2006. GReddy USA were nothing but sales jerks and knew nothing. Forget about any help from GReddy Japan. So I trudged on content with what I was making but not happy about the hunting idle and driveability problems. When I upped to 15PSI and 550cc injectors the tune went down 217WHP/214TQ. The tuning session started out at 203WHP. I had been battling slipping belts and a leaky oil shaft seal on the S/C. The Original OEM clutch seemed to be slipping some but I cannot confirm that as it still seems to be holding OK.

Well, anyway, I drove the car this way for about a month and decided to pull the GReddy to check everything again. On a whim, I decided to try running the engine with just the ECM. It worked way better than it was running and the torque jump was huge. This car finally felt it had the power. I contemplated putting the GReddy back it but decided not too until the next upgrade. I finally made it to Texas in cooler weather (60F on the Dyno) and had Kenny make 3 pulls with no tuning. It made about the same power as it did with the GReddy installed. The engine power was very temperature based. 50F and below had the car feel like it was making tons of power while at 90F it seemed to level off early. I have no intercooling, save for the extra fuel, so that explains the big differences in power. Even at 107F, the car seemed to be OK though I never pushed too hard.

So in a nutshell, I have been planning on one of the Hybrid controllers like from Alan Jackson Racing. It gives you full control but let's your ECM remain happy. My goal with tuning and h2o/meth was just at or above 300WHP as that was how the numbers added up. That was on a complete stock motor. The goal of the fully built race motor, with a different S/C is to be 550WHP or better. I am still a bit perplexed at how your motor is making all of that power. Was that with race gas or just pump gas? Supposedly there is a method to trick the ECM with utilizing other data tables like clamping the MAF voltage and tunning with water temp but have yet to get a definitive answer.

20. harlequin428

harlequin428 Member

That is a sick car! I think I have that same grill too