Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

192whp & 173 wtq (jimmy's naturally aspirated tc)

Discussion in 'Tuning and Dyno Results' started by jimmyjun, Sep 2, 2010.

1. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Porting and polishing heads is an art, as well as, a technical skill. It is not recommended for the inexperienced to port/polish their own head. Suggest that you find some used aluminum heads at the junk yard to practice on. You will need a high volume air compressor, angled and straight die grinders, assortment of grinding heads, machinist's blueing ink, pipette/graduated cylinder/blocking plate (to cc the chambers), and a good knowledge of port flow/fluid dynamics. Best to let a professional tackle this.

2. okie

okie Member

any updates on the build?

3. navylife59

Actually, I have no clue about the motor. Kenny decided to do a refresh build on it since it has been sitting in his showroom floor for a year. He and the Jotech crew have been racing and at the SEMA show so it may not have been completed yet. I have been stuck on an island off the coast of Africa for nearly 3 weeks now so nothing has obviously been done to the car itself beyond the new head unit and ripping out my POS PLX Devices gauges that never worked properly.

4. ChippE

ChippE New Member

SO i have a factory auto trans 08 tc with a mbx fart can underneath it!! heres my hicup... my wife told me i can "TUNE" my car up before we leave for germany but i cant spend more then $2500... so i did some looking around and a little research and this is what i have come up with.... (dont laugh im new to this and im use to big ass trucks made for mudding)......Scion tC Weapon R Secret Weapon Air Intake $275..Weapon R intake manifold $600.. tsudo race header $250..power aid throttle body spacer $80..brian cower camshafts $600..
    Thats what ive chosen so far any other ideas to give me a little more punch. im at a grand total of $1805 ive still got $695 and i wanna spend every last penny i can up to $2500.... let me know what you think about my parts and what you may think about some others or maybe going a different route????

5. ChippE

ChippE New Member

Oh and i forgot to mention.... im taking the car to germany so i would kinda like to not get blown away on the autobahn LMFAO !!! i dont wanna race an audi or lmabo or anything just wanna go fast faster!!!!

6. okie

okie Member

just to let you know we might want to start a own thread for ya so we don't hijack this one ( i have have done that once haha my bad) but it all depends on what route you want to go with the tc. handling or power. I would also recommend since you are right there you might want to just save up the money a bit more and get a good turbo kit to slap on the car. It will give you a lot more power than the basic bolt ons especially on that hopped up jamba juice the Europeans call gas.

7. ChippE

ChippE New Member

well if i knew how to start my own i would , and the idea of a turbo sounds amazing but ive thought about it alot and with a auto trans. i wanna start with all the bolt ons and then movie to engine intrenals and when all that is done boost the piss out of!!!

8. okie

okie Member

go to work project log and at the top of where all the threads are their is a post new thread . click that and start it up

9. navylife59

Unless you are bumping up the compression or going forced induction, save the money on the intake manifold. The OEM phenolplastic manifold works just fine supporting over 20 PSI and up to 500WHP. That is 600 bones that you could put towards other things like LW crank/water/alt pullies and the best header on the market; Weapon R 4-2-1 header. The TB spacer is also a waste of money as there is no definitive proof that it provides any gains (this ain't a carburetor).

One thing to also consider is too much alteration to the pumping aspect of the motor (manifold, intake, exhaust, TB, cams, port work, etc) is going to put the engine parameters way out of the base tuning map range. This means the ECM will have to build learned tables for this drastic change that will be de-tuning the engine. Also, the MAF sensor may be outside of these limits which can cause DTC's and and poor performance, especially at high altitudes. I take it that you are Army or Air Force so this might not be an issue around your Basing in Germany. Work arounds for this would be to get a piggyback controller but these are regulated to only WOT fuel trims so driveability and part-throttle performance will be lacking. Abaco makes a programmable MAF, but I am not sure how that would work with just a stock ECM. There are hybrid controllers on the market that are standalones that provide integration with the ECM but they are just under $2 G's. The cheapest but untested option would be to get your ECM flashed with the TRD S/C maps. It might have a broad enough range to support the cams and intake manifold.

Best of luck there in Allemagne and have fun on the Autobahn. You just might be the first Scion tC ever to drive there! I have only been on the newer parts in West Germany topping out only at 240Km/h (149.13Mph) in an Audio S4.

10. mark_hou

mark_hou New Member

pretty good numbers

11. ChippE

ChippE New Member

well now im just confused on what to do . now ive got 2 many i deas to make a decision

12. navylife59

What are you confused about? There is alot of great info in the stickies of both these thread sections.

http://www.club-tc.com/forums/engine-performance/
    http://www.club-tc.com/forums/forced-induction/

Don't worry about internals. This motor is built pretty tough. The piston ring lands are the weak point. Too much boost can cause cracks. As far as I know of, this has only been caused by owners cranking up the boost or shoot'n to much juice (NOx) causing a severe lean out. This creates high cylinder pressures and the resulting ring land damage. 15PSI on a TRD S/C has not caused this problem. Other than that, this motor can easily handle over 300-350WHP as a DD with no issue. A few have ran up to 400WHP on a complete stock motor but that begins to push the envelope a bit.

13. ChippE

ChippE New Member

14. e246

e246 Member

nice numbers

Man you got really nice umbers, wish i could have seen somthing like that. I just had cams and a e manage ultimate tune done, on top of my i/h/e pulley and clutch and flywheel setup. I Ended up pulling 170.2 h.p , and 160.4 lbs of torque. I have a stronger torque curve than you but yours has such higher numbers. Is that just from the pistons??

15. navylife59

It has been nearly a year. How's the motor running?

16. scionchicop

scionchicop New Member

Now that's a sexy build!

17. navylife59

So long ago. How things going for you? Any juicy updates to your rad ride?