Registration is FREE and takes seconds to complete!
Club-tC Members Receive:
? Advertisement Free Browsing
? Access to all tC Tech Articles
? Ability to post questions and comments
? Use of private message system
? Ability to share images
? Their own personal profile page
? More tC information then anywhere else

192whp & 173 wtq (jimmy's naturally aspirated tc)

Discussion in 'Tuning and Dyno Results' started by jimmyjun, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jimmyjun

jimmyjun New Member

here is my naturally aspirated tc....

engine mods:

je pistons 11@1
    balance shaft removed
    PnP head(NO valve angles, NO oversize valves)
    injen intake
    DME header
    balanced complete rotational assembly
    ebay downpipe
    custom 2.25 midpipe(no cat, no resonator)
    Magnaflow muffler
    OEM intake manifold, OEM TB
    unorthodox crank pulley
    vision ground kit
    vision voltage stabilizer
    act pressure plate & act 4 puck solid disc
    F1 racing 12.5 lbs chromoly flywheel

Tuning
    Apex safc2 piggyback (wich only controls afr's at WOT)
    tuned by me..........

Attached Files:

2. okie

okie Member

that is amazing numbers from a na tc. Is it still using pump gas ?

3. jimmyjun

jimmyjun New Member

yes sir, its still running on pump gas (texaco with techron, 93 octane) and on stock ecu also, only an apex safc2(piggyback) to control the afrs.

4. navylife59

navylife59 Super Moderator Staff Member

Those are some darn good numbers when all that you really did was up the compression to 11.0:1 and lightened up the rotating assembly. Are you thinking about the BC cams? A Zex wet nitrous kit would really beat the pants off alot of cars. Do you have any other plans for this engine?

Balance shafts are essential to engine longevity. You should be safe, as long as, you don't spin it past the OEM rev limit. I seriously contemplated the same for my race motor, but it is going to have an 8500 RPM rev limit and is boosted so I will give up the small gain for safety.

Anyway, congrats on the good numbers.

5. jimmyjun

jimmyjun New Member

my nexts mods are going to be a weapon r intake manifold and rx8 tb, once i get a job beacuse im recently jobless. in the future 2011 i want to run stage 3 bc cams and engine management, something tha can control everything( vvti timing, ign timing, rev limit, speed limit, afr's, etc..)something like aem, hydra or dezod new ems, but they are all $1800 plus. thats hard... so if i get a sponsorship by one of them maybe ill get to 215whp by the begginig of 2011.

6. navylife59

Yep, those hybrid controllers are uber expensive. I am leaning towards the Dezod piece myself. I really need a full stand-alone but Jotech is a 10 hour drive away. So why are you wanting that RX8 TB? I believe that the Acura (Integra) TB is a better setup. That was the one that Kenny Tran suggested to me. I am trying to determine if the 2AR-FE TB is any bigger, can be bored, and a direct swap. I have the 2007 Camry V-6 and the Tundra 5.7L so I need to spec those out as well.

7. jimmyjun

jimmyjun New Member

its cheaper for me to get a rx8 tb wich is 70mm, than buy an acuras tb wich are 62mm to 65mm. also the problems to those tbs are that they are cable tb's and cant use them with stock ecu, in your case if you get the ems then youll be able to use a cable one. a rx8 its very close to a direct swap, you just have to replace the circuit board from the rx8 and use the tc's and that it. something that will take you 30 minutes once you have the rx8TB in your hands.
    here is the link to it running
    The newest built all motor Scion tC. - Scionlife.com

8. navylife59

I was not aware of the RX8 swap. Thanks for the link. I wonder how much that cost him used? I would prefer a new unit if I go this route. Still have to get off my lazy butt and check the specs on my Tundra and Camry TB for PNP compatibility.

9. okie

okie Member

jw but how do you plan on being able to get that engine up to 8500? I have never raised the rev limiter on any car and was wonder what would be all the work to get it up that high?

10. navylife59

There was a shop in Puerto Rico that claimed to have raised the Rev limiter from the stock 6350 RPM to 7000 RPM by using the advanced mapping tables in the Greddy Ultimate. Their claim was that it had no adverse effects as Toyota builds a safety margain into the motors. I tend to believe that being how my car is setup. The main limitations on the rev limit of a motor are valve train, rotating mass, and stroke. The Brian Crower valve train is said to be stable to a minimum of 8000 RPM with 8500 RPM being tested.

11. okie

okie Member

thank you for the answer. I was wondering bc most of the cars i have raced you couldn't really do much to the engine or the car for that fact. So you on your car have to upgrade your valve terrain and are you already have a more aggressive cam? My second is what kinda ecu are you using? My third is how do you plan on getting around the stroke and rotating mass? Sorry for the 50 questions but this is the only way i will learn.

12. navylife59

"Ask away my friend for to be a learned person, one must ask questions either to themselves or others. Those who choose to not ask questions to maintain their veil of intelligence only profer to make fools of themselves later."
    Me

When you compare the power curve of our motors to that of the Honda Civic's, you can see that our motors make more power in the low to mid ranges. A Honda gets high HP numbers by extending the RPM range. If we were able to move our Rev limit higher and still be making power, our motors would easily surpass the Civic Si and S2000 motors in peak power. Because of the longer stroke, we have more available torque. When it comes to torque, there is no replacement for stroke length except by more cylinders.

My current motor is stricly OEM with no machine work. The only mods are 550cc injectors, 255LPH Walbro fuel pump, Okada Projects coilpacks (direct drop-in repacements), ported TRD S/C w/ Cermamic bearings, 15PSI pulley, LW crank pulley, oil cooler, and that is it. The motor is controlled strictly by the stock ECM with the TRD S/C map reflash. I used to have the GReddy Ultimate piggyback, but it was fighting the ECM to tune for that much boost. I have no FMIC and my water/meth system ha yet to be installed.

13. okie

okie Member

so what are you all going to do to the engine next to get it up to this point

14. navylife59

15. okie

okie Member

sorry for stealing it a bit. so when you said a pnp head does that include more aggressive cams for the engine as well?

16. navylife59

Port and Polish = PNP head. Does not always equate to upgraded cams.

17. Turbo_TC05

Turbo_TC05 New Member

If your going to upgrade your cams you should upgrade your valve springs and retainers to prevent valve float and other valve train issues.

18. navylife59

True. Aggressive cams can experience valve-float forcing a lower redline. YouTube - Valve Float I believe that the BC N/A cam works fine w/o upgrading the rest of the OEM valve-train at standard redline.

19. allenxtc

allenxtc New Member

Navy, I have heard of many people port polish their head, and I am really interested to do that. How does it work and what will people gain by doing this? If my motor is completely stock, will I gain some power?

20. navylife59

Porting and polishing heads is an art, as well as, a technical skill. It is not recommended for the inexperienced to port/polish their own head. Suggest that you find some used aluminum heads at the junk yard to practice on. You will need a high volume air compressor, angled and straight die grinders, assortment of grinding heads, machinist's blueing ink, pipette/graduated cylinder/blocking plate (to cc the chambers), and a good knowledge of port flow/fluid dynamics. Best to let a professional tackle this.